Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Minewt X2 vs Minewt USB times 2

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Squidward 
#1 ·
Finally decided I need "real" light (~$200US) to extend my road riding into eve hours. Checked out some reviews & Niterider Minewts seem well-recommended. Review of X2 on MTBR was positive. Then I checked pricing & got confused. The Minewt USB is listed at 110 lumens/3hr run time vs Minewt X2 @ 150 lumens/3.5-7 hrs run time. HOWEVER- with current sale pricing I could buy TWO Minewt USB's for about cost of one X2. Seems like the versatility of having two USB's (2 lights/batt's/chargers) would be better, or am I missing something?

#2 ·
I just bought the Mini-USB and it is pretty nice. Would I buy a second one to augment it? Sure. It's nice to have a second one that I can point at a different spot for a wider or longer hot spot and have the redundancy of a second system. The Minewt X.2 is brighter, has two light output levels, has a longer lasting battery, but it only has one spot and one point of failure. The X.2 Dual has twice the output and the same option of pointing the two beams at different spots but it still has one point of failure and the battery life is half that of the single head one unless you use only one of the heads, negating the advantage of the second head.

#3 ·
I just ordered the Minewt dual. I didn't think that the heads can be used independantly from each other? Also, what does "point of failure" mean?

#4 ·
By "independently", they mean you can unplug one of them.

"Point of failure" is anywhere the light can fail. I think squid is just talking about the high probability POFs. On my MiNewt x2, I count the LED (1), interior wiring in the head (2), seals in the head unit (3), light/cable connection (4), battery (5), battery/charger connection (6), AC adapter (7). Some of those aren't worth worrying about in terms of everyday use (LED, adapter, adapter cable), but the others can be affected, especially if the seals on the head unit fail.

The x2 dual runs two lights on one battery, so you can't control them independently, or mount them apart from each other.

#5 ·
I won't be buying any time soon, but I've been exploring lighting systems with the intent of getting one maybe next year.

I think I've settled on a MiNewt X2 for the handlebars, and the USB for my helmet. Will have one light lighting up the path ahead, and the other to light up where I might be looking to go.

#7 ·
After much discussion on these threads, I got a couple Fenix flashlights with the velcro straps and some rechargeable AA's (NiMh) from Costco. Huge light for the money when batteries will do. For long rides, it's still the hub.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.