RoadBikeReview Member

Moustache shifting options

The t-check is shaping up. I am looking at 1x8 or 1x9. What have people done for shifting with moustache or similar bars? Not a huge fan of the bar end option. Has anyone done anything with a thumbie or Kelly take off? I think I may just start out with a downtube shifter unless I find something else compelling. i am so used to running SS that after I upgraded my commuter to 6spd I found I only shifted between two gears for the most part.

Cat 6 rider
    I usually just use a little wax and a mustache comb- shifts it just fine.

After that predictable and not very funny remark- most of those I've seen have bar end shifters. I've always thought they were pretty cool, and easier to reach than down tube, but if you don't like them... In the past I've actually wondered whether thumb shifters from a mountain bike could be adapted to mustache bars (as I considered mustache bars for my mountain bike briefly), but I've never seen anyone do it. The triggered downshift would probably work well, but I'm wondering, with hand position, whether the upshift might not be awkward.
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I ran them downtube--- as friction shifters. It was pretty cool, actually. Ridiculously simple. I could use any wheels that would fit-- so 1x8 or 9 (or 6), it doesn't matter at all--- and the point of mustaches is to be at least a bit retro....

What'd I do?
    Quote Originally Posted by California L33
    I usually just use a little wax and a mustache comb- shifts it just fine.

After that predictable and not very funny remark- most of those I've seen have bar end shifters. I've always thought they were pretty cool, and easier to reach than down tube, but if you don't like them... In the past I've actually wondered whether thumb shifters from a mountain bike could be adapted to mustache bars (as I considered mustache bars for my mountain bike briefly), but I've never seen anyone do it. The triggered downshift would probably work well, but I'm wondering, with hand position, whether the upshift might not be awkward.
    It actually depends on bar diameter. Most mustache bars are the bigger road/drop bar diameter and won't accomodate mountain shifters/triggers. For thumb shifting, one option is combining Paul Thumbies and Shimano bar end shifters. You could also use Shimano STI or SRAM DoubleTap levers.
    Good ideas by chance, not design.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The old Suntour Power Thumb shifters used a band clamp and would fit those bars. They also happen to be the best thumbies ever made, if you can get your hands on them. They are friction shifters, so should work with whatever speeds you want.

Militant commuter
    Cheap Falcon thumbshifters (friction only) will fit on either road or MTB diameter bars...I used the right-side one to shift a 1x6 drivetrain on my moustache-bar-equipped citybike.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    You could always do a bit of filing on a thumbshifter to make it fit, if you have any knocking around.

hello
    And there's always the STI shifter.
    I ran Campy Ergos on my moustache bars for a while. They worked well but STI's work better as far as ease of shifting on moustache bars.