RoadBikeReview Member

Talking My new Trek 7.5 FX...with pictures.

I just picked up my new commuter bike here in China. It's a Trek 7.5 FX with a 20" frame with head and tail lights, and a wired computer. I plan on using this bike for my commuting needs here in China and for exploring this strange land. Being an American here, I don't have much choice in getting around. Over here in China foreigners aren't allowed to drive motorcycles or cars.

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    In the USA, I would be afraid of someone stealing a nice bike like that. Isn't there low crime rate in China? I have seen these bikes up close and Trek did a nice job. Enjoy your adventure.
    There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.

Patent Pending!
    Aug 2009
    That looks like a really nice bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh for sure on bike thefts here in China. If I left this thing locked up with 3 U-locks, It would be gone upon turning my back to walk away! Bike thefts (scooters included) are out of control here. The average Chinese rides an old single speed, rusted, piece of crap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have fun exploring and be sure to post lots of ride reports and pictures!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Nice bike, but I would have also gone with an older beater bike so that I could enjoy the country rather than be plagued with paranoia. I hope you don't have one of those u locks that can be picked with a Bic!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hahaha...I hear ya on the old beater bike. There isn't a whole lot to be excited about being here in China. My bike won't ever be locked up and unattended. Being 47 years old and in much need of exercise, I wanted something that would make me enthusiastic about riding and getting into shape. Riding a beater bike wouldn't have done that for me, but...riding this this has made me want to ride the wheels off her.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    That's a nice looking bike. I hope you can take it inside either at work or at home, especially with your report about bike theft.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The pictures I took is where it stays, nice and cozy inside our factory.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice bike, I've got the same in a 22". love it for riding to work and around town.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey there drmayer, how big are you? I got a 20" bike here in China and I was lucky to get one that big. I am about 5'10' with about a 31" inseam I believe, so i am curious if i done right be getting the 20" frame. My 1st ride on it i was able to ride for 17.4 miles, so I guess without any prior experience riding, it was an ok fit for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 6'3", 34" inseam. The bike fits me well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drmayer
    I'm 6'3", 34" inseam. The bike fits me well.

Thats great news...I believe my 20" was the right decision.

Baltic Scum
    Quote Originally Posted by Guilou
    The average Chinese rides an old single speed, rusted, piece of crap.
    On our next trip to China I am planning to pick up a Pigeon. I love those things.
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Nice looking bike, Guilou. Don`t forget to post some ride reports while you`re there!

Foreigners aren`t allowed to drive in China? Huh. I guess that makes it kind of tough to do any touring around unless you can read bus schedules in Chinese. Maybe that`s the point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Nice ride! Have fun spinning around. I wish we would have that law enforced here once a week. It would make the US a lot more fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    你们好(Hello)....I have been commuting on my bike and I just needed some more space for my belongings. I picked up this cheap rack for about $15. I couldn't find any sort of name on the thing at all. Unfortunately not much in the way of decent bags to go along with my rack.So when I go back to the states next month I will pick up one. I am still trying to figure out if I like this thing on my bike. It could be that its a cheapy and don't look very good. It does seem to be decent quality though. Let me know what all of you might think (Fugly....or ok) Thx everybody