RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017

My year of touring thus far

Hello, this is my first post on this site, and i want to introduce myself

My name is Kieran, i have a youtube channel, and approximately last april, i bought my first road bike.
    last year, i did approximately 9600k in that first 9 months of cycling, and i went to thailand to train, and be a part of the vegan cycling fruit cult.

in january of this year, i did my first tour, i put 2 pannier bags on my bike, packed with maybe 15-20kg worth of my life, and cycled to adelaide from sydney in 8 days (most days were at least 200k per day), so i went from about 200-300k per week, to 200k per day.
    i didnt take the scenic route, i rode straight through the middle of new south wales (a state), the most direct route, there are 2 or 3 mallee (almost desert) stretches that are approximately 160k with no stops, i also experienced over 40 degrees celcius for at least half of the ride (the last 4 or 5 days got up to about 44c)

it was definitely a good experience, i have learned that for most new tourers, the ass is the first thing to go (soreness, chaffing, bruising etc)

in february, i did the great ocean road (an iconic road in australia) with some friends... i rode there from adelaide, and the caught the plane, and i rode back with them haha... again, approximately 200k+ per day, the weather was alot cooler for the start of this ride, and the total distance was almost 2000km i think... their ases were sore on day 3 (which was probably my day 7 or something), and mine seemed alot better conditioned from the first tour, and was fine for the whole ride..

my most recent i guess you would call "tour" happened a week or two after mike hall was killed in the indian pacific wheel race, and i was inspired by his life to do them, so i rode approximately 352km to the north of adelaide in the first day, slept on the dirt on the side of a road somewhere, then rode back the next day, fatigue was extreme on the way back, but i was too stubborn to stop

i am now living in thailand, and training on the mountains here, and i am considering participating in the indian pacific wheel race next march, and competing the year after (i don't know that i will be experienced and conditioned enough to do the required 300-400k per day by next march)

each of my tours so far has been roughing it, sleeping in a bivi bag (glorified bodybag) and lots of soft drink and red liquorice

the effects i have notices from this sort of training include:
    i seem to be very heat tolerant; it doesnt phase me despite riding in 40c +, and in hot thailand weather
    my time trial performance has not increased significantly from this training
    conditioning seems to have improved significantly, never have nigling aches, pains etc anymore, and i also seem to have alot better recovery (ie, if i do 200k one day, i am fine to repeat as long as needed)

anyway, thats my introduction, if anyone wants to ask any questions about touring or anything, feel free to

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fascinating! Do you sell some of this energy in bottles or anything??

I love the idea of bike touring, but the closest I get is regular commuting. Traveling by bike is such a beautiful thing, but in dense urban areas it's got the added dangers.

If you don't think you'd be prepared for the Indian Pacific, I don't know WHO would be!

What bike do you use? I'm curious what's a perfect combination of long-distance touring and speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angryvegan View Post
    Hello, this is my first post on this site, and i want to introduce myself

My name is Kieran, i have a youtube channel, and approximately last april, i bought my first road bike.
    last year, i did approximately 9600k in that first 9 months of cycling, and i went to thailand to train, and be a part of the vegan cycling fruit cult.

in january of this year, i did my first tour, i put 2 pannier bags on my bike, packed with maybe 15-20kg worth of my life, and cycled to adelaide from sydney in 8 days (most days were at least 200k per day), so i went from about 200-300k per week, to 200k per day.
    i didnt take the scenic route, i rode straight through the middle of new south wales (a state), the most direct route, there are 2 or 3 mallee (almost desert) stretches that are approximately 160k with no stops, i also experienced over 40 degrees celcius for at least half of the ride (the last 4 or 5 days got up to about 44c)

it was definitely a good experience, i have learned that for most new tourers, the ass is the first thing to go (soreness, chaffing, bruising etc)

in february, i did the great ocean road (an iconic road in australia) with some friends... i rode there from adelaide, and the caught the plane, and i rode back with them haha... again, approximately 200k+ per day, the weather was alot cooler for the start of this ride, and the total distance was almost 2000km i think... their ases were sore on day 3 (which was probably my day 7 or something), and mine seemed alot better conditioned from the first tour, and was fine for the whole ride..

my most recent i guess you would call "tour" happened a week or two after mike hall was killed in the indian pacific wheel race, and i was inspired by his life to do them, so i rode approximately 352km to the north of adelaide in the first day, slept on the dirt on the side of a road somewhere, then rode back the next day, fatigue was extreme on the way back, but i was too stubborn to stop

i am now living in thailand, and training on the mountains here, and i am considering participating in the indian pacific wheel race next march, and competing the year after (i don't know that i will be experienced and conditioned enough to do the required 300-400k per day by next march)

each of my tours so far has been roughing it, sleeping in a bivi bag (glorified bodybag) and lots of soft drink and red liquorice

the effects i have notices from this sort of training include:
    i seem to be very heat tolerant; it doesnt phase me despite riding in 40c +, and in hot thailand weather
    my time trial performance has not increased significantly from this training
    conditioning seems to have improved significantly, never have nigling aches, pains etc anymore, and i also seem to have alot better recovery (ie, if i do 200k one day, i am fine to repeat as long as needed)

anyway, thats my introduction, if anyone wants to ask any questions about touring or anything, feel free to
    A student in '65, I worked my way from NYC to Adelaide on Norwegian freighters. Took a train ride to Alice Springs, then hitch hiked on a trailer truck to Darwin, and then BOAC to Singapore. I remember crashing a high school "sock hop" and talking with a gun shop owner decrying how the invincible British navy lost Singapore to the Japanese in WW2.

I hear Adelaide is now a cycling hub. It's quite far from the cities on the east coast.

Do you have one bike for your travels, or have you used different bikes, depending on the anticipated terrain? Are they bikes with 700mm wheels and drop handlebars? Do you carry a tent in case it rains, or opt to stay at a hostel or hotel?

Do the highways in SE Asia or Australia have shoulders that are friendly to cyclists? In the US, the grid of old roads built before the interstates are now perfect cycling routes. So much history out there missed traveling by car! On a bike you can take in civilization at the stately speed of 15 mph. I can imagine the cuisine offered along the routes varies by local culture, a treat missing in the fast food chain franchises along the American interstates. Being a vegan, what do you eat for protein? Is food cheap in Thailand or do you pay for what you get as the saying goes?

Speaking of which, can a cyclist travel on a VISA credit card, or does he have to use the local currency?

Cycling all day at a steady pace below anaerobic threshold may enhance heat tolerance, as it stimulates the sweat glands, and the head winds cool the body efficiently. Just don't stop!

Like to hear more about the Indian Pacific wheel race!
    Last edited by Fredrico; 06-26-2017 at 09:08 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    What is the name or link to your channel?