RoadBikeReview Member

Need daytime "be seen" flashing white/front light recommendation

During the week, I ride in the morning and switch my headlight from the steady 850 lumen beam to the flashing mode, when the sun comes up.

On weekend rides, I almost always start after the sun's up. So, I don't want to ride with the (relatively) big/bulky bar-mount headlight. I'd like to find a smaller, lighter light for these rides - just a white flasher to be seen.

It seems that most dedicated flashing white lights are 20 lumens. While that seems low, admittedly, I really don't know what lumen count is adequate for being seen on a sunny day.

Any suggestions on minimum lumens? Suggestion on a light?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use the Bontrager 100r front on my road bikes...it's small.

Also use the 700 ion for commuting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Suggestion on a light?
    I have See.Sense front/rear white/red strobes that work well and are very visible. USB rechargeable with 20+ hours run time on strobe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Check out Bontranger's line of lights. They have unique flashers that really attract attention at different lumens & price points.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Off the back
    I saw somebody with these - front and rear - on a daytime ride the other day. https://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Torch-B...478HFSAEQ2M8AX
    Told me he bought on Amazon, but only a few days previous. Seemed bright enough as dim light flashers, but probably not the brightest choice for midday. Tiny suckers, tho, for anybody concerned about hauling around extra grams. My guess was maybe 100 lumens for the front.
    During all hours of the day, I use the somewhat bulky rechargeable battery type ($20 on Amazon, brand name something like CREE) for the front at an advertised 1000+ lumens. Saved my neck numerous times over the past six years. Motorists and pedestrians see me coming, baby!

RoadBikeReview Member
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711K9Z8Z...et_detail_page

You would have to be blind to NOT see this thing!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kookieCANADA View Post
    I use the Bontrager 100r front on my road bikes...it's small.
    This. It's small, lightweight, good battery life, and is made to do exactly what you are asking for. I've been very impressed with mine. I use it all the time now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 73Bronco View Post
    This. It's small, lightweight, good battery life, and is made to do exactly what you are asking for. I've been very impressed with mine. I use it all the time now.
    I love mine. It is not rechargeable, but has fantastic battery life. They last me a whole season, so I couldn't tell you the hours but I would high level guess at 100-120 hours.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

What the what???
    I run the Serfas Thundebolt f/r and I like them. Battery life isnít spectacular, but with USB recharging itís not too big a deal.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I've got one of these on the front: https://cygolite.com/product/dash-pro-600-usb/
    I use it to be seen in the daytime and in the flashing mode it's pretty darn bright. It's also pretty low profile and doesn't stick up too much off of the bar.

Bought it because I noticed another rider coming towards me one day with a very noticeable light, tracked him down and it turned out to be this Cygolite. Also bought it because I had recently been the recipient of a left hook from a car that was coming at me pretty much head and and should have noticed me.

Bontrager Flare R in the back for the same purpose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Based on y'all's (sorry northerners - you guys') recommendations, it seems 100 lumens for a white flasher (uhm... flashing white light) is good/adequate. I bought a Blackburn Central 100. Pretty basic light, but it will mount vertically on the head tube - keeping the bar less cluttered.

What the what???
    Nice. Let us know what you think when you put it to work.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

Off the back
    Cool idea about mounting to the head tube. Pricing seems around $35 for front only. Decent rechargeable battery life. And the charge indicator is a welcome addition.

Saw a front & rear set at Dick's for $65. => https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...cntrl100frnlgh
    (Great...type in white flasher dick's into your search...wife will accuse me of perversion.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Glad you found a light. You never know, that small purchase may save your life.

Happy riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    Cool idea about mounting to the head tube. Pricing seems around $35 for front only. Decent rechargeable battery life. And the charge indicator is a welcome addition.

Saw a front & rear set at Dick's for $65. => https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...cntrl100frnlgh
    (Great...type in white flasher dick's into your search...wife will accuse me of perversion.)
    $18 at REI!

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Based on y'all's (sorry northerners - you guys') recommendations, it seems 100 lumens for a white flasher (uhm... flashing white light) is good/adequate. I bought a Blackburn Central 100. Pretty basic light, but it will mount vertically on the head tube - keeping the bar less cluttered.

I second or 3rd the Blackburn.

I even put on an O-RING to use it on my handlebar drops pointed down. And you could stack them further if you need even bigger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need daytime "be seen" flashing white/front light recommendation-20170725_002825_resized_1.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I like the blackburn 2fer. It runs as solid or blinking in either white or red. It is bright and relatively cheap ($20 or $25).

I have 2 of them that replaced a bontrager flare R. The flare r has poor water sealing. Water got into it every time I got caught in any rain. Eventually, it wouldn't turn off or charge anymore. I know of at least three other people with the same issue with the same light. Nice light. Poor water resistance.