RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Need suggestions: Denver-area bike commute route

Help! We just moved from Morrison to Lakewood, and I'm trying to figure out my new bike commute. We live near Kipling and Mississippi, and I'm commuting to Glendale. In the mornings, I'm taking Mississippi to Pierce, south to Florida, Florida to Santa Fe (crossing a block south on Iowa), then heading through neighborhoods/Wash Park to work. It works because I go in relatively early before traffic is bad. On the way home, it doesn't work as well in reverse, mostly because I'm riding during rush hour and even though there are bike lanes on Florida and Mississippi (in some places), there is just too much traffic. It's no fun. If I'm going to be that stressed out, I might as well be sitting in my car.

I have been trying an alternate plan of taking the Cherry Creek Path downtown and catching the new light rail line in the afternoons, which is more pleasant, but it takes a lot longer than just biking it, plus I have to pay. I figure if I'm going to go several miles out of my way, I might as well stay on the bike - it'll be faster and cheaper. I'm having a hard time finding a ride-able route though. I-25 and Santa Fe and that whole industrial corridor are just really hard to cross.

Google maps wants me to go all the way north to Confluence Park and then hop on the Platte River trail to... 10th it looks like, then south on Garrison. I'd love to find something a bit shorter that doesn't suck traffic-wise. Anyone have any tips or suggested routes?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Have you looked at Lousiana/Arizona?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    No busses or trains that can port your bike over the rough spots, during the pm hours?
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the tips. I'll check out Louisiana - that would definitely save me some time. The bus/train option just slows me down too much. When I did the bike/light rail combo, it was a nicer ride, but I had to pay the fare and it took me longer than just riding the whole way, and I'd rather just ride it, even if I'm adding a few miles. Light rail is a nice back-up for bad weather days though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Florida also has some bike lanes at certain points. Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I'd drive with bike (or ride it) due south a mile and pick up Bear Creek bike path and go east/west that way