Cross Country!

nitto randonneur bars

I am looking to build up a surly crosscheck for commuting, touring, and a variety of car replacement purposes. I'm considering the nitto randonneur bars.

The randonneur bars do not look like they would play well with modern ergo-style shifters. I'm used to the way the flats on my FSA road bar are level with my campy brifters. I would want to use the cane creek ergo style levers or similar ones. Any opinions on these bars are welcome. Also, I'm open to other suggestions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nbrennan
    I am looking to build up a surly crosscheck for commuting, touring, and a variety of car replacement purposes. I'm considering the nitto randonneur bars.

The randonneur bars do not look like they would play well with modern ergo-style shifters. I'm used to the way the flats on my FSA road bar are level with my campy brifters. I would want to use the cane creek ergo style levers or similar ones. Any opinions on these bars are welcome. Also, I'm open to other suggestions.
    I just started using the Nitto Noodle and it has a comfortable hand position "behind" the shifter "cradleling" the bend. So, far they have been pretty comfortable but I would have preferred the drops to extend another 2cm in length.

here is a link for the randonneur bars on a LHT... http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...7DMUS%26sa%3DN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nitto randonneur bars-nitto-noodle.jpg   nitto randonneur bars-nitto-noodle-2.jpg   nitto randonneur bars-nitto-noodle-4.jpg   nitto randonneur bars-nitto-noodle-3.jpg  
    Tyler, you are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met.

Incorrigible Wanderer - R.I.P.
    They should be fine--the profile of the bar is similar to the Noodle and the Classic (B115), and is easily set up with little to no "ramping". I'm running a Randonneur with STI, and like it. It's a bit weird getting used to the flare, though.

Downhill Juggernaut
    I'm now running the Randonneur on my fixed gear. So far I really like it. I'm a big fan of the flared drops. I run Salsa Bell Lap Moto Aces on the Cross Check and they're great. The Nitto bars are just as nice. Can't tell you how it works with the Ergo style levers though. I run a BMX style brake lever on the fixed gear.

The flare makes it easier to get into the drops for me, especially when climbing. Sort of like track bars with a realistic and comfortable flat area on the bar tops.
    If running were a person I would try to sabotage their life so that they were poor and drunk and living in the gutter pulling half smoked cigarettes from ashtrays in front of the Target. - Joe Daddio

Cross Country!
    Thanks for the input everyone. For what its worth, I'll be running these bars on a fixed gear. I'll have a dummy rear lever to ride on as well. But it sounds like I may not need it?