Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Picked up the Long Haul Trucker today

I picked up the new Long Haul Trucker today. I got the 56cc frame with 26 inch rims. I had a friend drop me off so I could ride it home. I couldn't bring myself to put it in the car and drive it home.

I had the B17 Special with me. I bought it earlier in the week and treated it to get it ready. They put it on the bike and after adjusting the seat height I took it out for a spin. I discovered the lower bottom bracket on my first spin by scraping a pedal. I hadn't done that in years. They had the Cascadia fenders installed before I got there.

After the first spin we raised the stem a bit. I left the steerer uncut not knowing how I want the end fit to be. I may leave it uncut anyway and use it to mount things anyway.

I rode it again and went a little farther. This thing feels great! I was a little shocked and very pleased. I know this will sound funny regarding a LHT, but I was shocked at how fast it felt. I came off a nicely maintained 1984 Ross Mt. Rainier that I used for my grocery getting and errands around town. A lot of the difference has to be the rims and tires. The Ross has much wider rims and currently had 1.90s on it. They actually look huge compared to the 1.5s on the Surly. The LHT even feels lighter than my old bike, that was a shock.

While I was there I went ahead and put all three water bottle cages on. I added a Superflash light to the seat post for the ride home.

I have a Tubus Cargo rack on the way from Wayne at the TheTouringStore.com along with the rear light that fits the rack. I'm most likely going to get the Ortlieb Roller Classics. The bike shop has some in stock so I'll probably get the there.

I put Wellgo pedals on it, the kind with the removable pins. I'm actually borrowing a pair from the shop at the moment since I'll be getting a pair with sealed bearings from them.

The ride home was nice, especially considering it was my first ride of the season. I live in the Pittsburgh suburbs and the hills are aplenty here and there was a good wind blowing as well. I also stopped doing aerobic exercise about a month ago as part of a temporary building program. I've just been lifting and saving the calories for building. I felt it on the hills but my strength was good. This bike climbs better than the old one. Both bikes share the same gearing but I didn't have to gear down as much as I do with the old one. That was really nice.

I think I'll really like this bike and can't wait for the seat to be broken in and the engine to start breathing better. Seriously the breathing part will come back quickly since I have continued to workout despite temporarily stopping the aerobics. I'm sure I will have to tweak the fit a bit more but not much I don't believe. I have been planning to adopt the Rivendell approach to the fit on this bike. I ended up with a little less than a fistful of seat post which I was happy with. I have the bars probably an inch above the seat but I may drop them a bit. When I first took it out I had them even or maybe a bit below the seat and it felt great. Time will tell.

Now I want nice warm weather. Today was a nice surprise, it was in the 50s and we had blue skies.

The LHT at the store.

The LHT at home after its maiden ride home.

Unlabeled
    Very nice. I want one. I've almost convinced myself to get rid of my 4 bikes and just get a LHT.
    Lugged Steel Treks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I'm surprised there isn't a LHT sub-forum on RBR yet !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice. I like the basic black. What wheels did you get?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bignose
    I'm surprised there isn't a LHT sub-forum on RBR yet !
    LOL

I was going to put the computer from the old bike onto this one yesterday. When I looked at it I noticed the battery was dead. I needed to go out anyway since I wanted to pick up a couple of presta to schrader valve adapters and a new tire gauge and thought I'd stop at Target and get a battery for the computer.

I rode the bike back to the shop and got the adapters and a tire gauge and ended up buying a new computer so I wouldn't have to steal the old one of the other bike. I liked the mount that came with the Speedzone Elite, it mounts to the steerer tube. I thought it would be interesting to have the altimeter although it's obviously not necessary.

I ran a few more errands while I was out and the speedo confirmed the LHT is quicker than the old Ross. The computer also insidiously told me it was only 36F out. I like the fact it has a thermometer but I really didn't need to know. Oh well, I've ridden in much colder. I didn't ride this Winter but used to put the knobbies back on the Ross and ride all Winter.

The engine felt a lot better yesterday. I didn't figure it would take long since, despite laying of the cardio the past month and a half, I have continued to train. Now I just want some nice weather.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2
    Nice. I like the basic black. What wheels did you get?
    Thanks, I'm glad I chose the black. I almost went with the blue but I'm more of a black person.

This is the complete bike so I have the standard rims offered by Surly, the Alex Adventurer, 36h. I got the 56cm frame in 26 inch wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This flashlight mount- where did you get it? I got two lights just like that one thinking they'd be great back-up lights (cheap, small, light, easy to carry) but I've got no way to mount them...

Quote Originally Posted by PBike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage
    This flashlight mount- where did you get it? I got two lights just like that one thinking they'd be great back-up lights (cheap, small, light, easy to carry) but I've got no way to mount them...
    That mount is from Cannondale. The mount and the light come together. I believe they cost something like $30. I bought it one day as an impulse buy for my old bike. I found a link http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...ite-Ultra.html

It works decently enough. I am going to buy some better lights for this but this works okay. I do like the mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Tubus Cargo rack came today. I ordered it and the Toplight rear light that fits it from Wayne at www.thertouringstore.com. I highly recommend him. He takes his time to explain things to you and goes out of his way to help prevent any issues.

I had a little difficulty getting the fender stays to play well with the rack but all worked out in the end. I ended up extending the hole at the base of the fender to enable me to get the upper stay mount to clear the rack. I am sure there were other options to get clearance but it worked well and was easy.

I like the light, it is bright and large. It fits the rack perfectly. It was a great addition.

Nice!

Reflective sidewalls, too. Always a good idea.

RoadBikeReview Member

Nice ride.

I like your new bike!
    Fred

At least the martians are happy in one respect; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks Fred.

I like the reflective sidewalls too. I can't believe I haven't taken the reflectors off the wheels yet. In the past that would have been the first thing removed. The older I get the more I like being seen. I always thought they looked dorky. Of course as long as I have the lights and the reflective sidewalls... lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice LHT!!!
    never,never,never give up

Festina Lente'
    Love my LHT!
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Santa Clarita, CA
    Beautiful Bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks all. I'm really happy I finally broke down and bought it. I decided to get the things I really wanted for it since it isn't often I buy a new bike. I love the Tubus Cargo rack and will be getting Ortlieb Rollers for trips. At the moment I have open panniers and a bag on the top of the rack that I use for around town. My LBS had the rollers in stock but I haven't been by to pick them up.

I just want some nice weather now so I don't have to ride in the cold anymore. I got home Tuesday and Wednesday it got up to 68F. I planned on riding into town to run errands and pick up the Ortliebs. Unfortunately it was raining, I was getting ready to go and then the hail and high winds started. Unfortunately I didn't get a ride in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Pbike,

How do you like the tubus rack? and why did you pick the tubus over something form the bike shop? I need to get a rack for my Cross Check so I can earn my beer.

Keith

RoadBikeReview Member
    I picked the Tubus Cargo based on what I've read of other people's experience with the rack. It is very well made. I have a Cannondale rack on my other bike and it has served me well too. It is rated for 50 pounds and the Tubus is rated for 90 pounds.

I plan on doing some touring on this so I wanted something sturdy. There are plenty of decent rack out there if you just need it for errands or beer runs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the input! by the way is it true Pittsburgh is becoming more bike friendly? I keep thinking about moving back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not really sure if it is becoming more bicycle friendly. I live in Monroeville and it's not so great here. I do believe Pittsburgh itself is trying to accommodate bikes more than in the past, but I don't ride in Pittsburgh proper much so I couldn't say for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Monroeville! Its a small world, I went to Gateway. I was staying with a buddy in Garden City 2 falls ago and did some fall/winter mountain bike riding at Boyce and some beer drinking at River Towne (The old Parkway Tavern). I hope the LHT treats you well, we might cross paths if I move back I ll be doing beer runs on a blue CC. Is there a Surly bike shop in the area or did you have a shop order it in for you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keith13
    Monroeville! Its a small world, I went to Gateway. I was staying with a buddy in Garden City 2 falls ago and did some fall/winter mountain bike riding at Boyce and some beer drinking at River Towne (The old Parkway Tavern). I hope the LHT treats you well, we might cross paths if I move back I ll be doing beer runs on a blue CC. Is there a Surly bike shop in the area or did you have a shop order it in for you?
    No, I had to order it.

BIKE GEEK
    Nice bike! I love doing errands by bike.
    -Tyler
    --2010 Trek 69er 3X9
    --2011 Masi Gran Criterium
    --2011 Blue Norcross SP
    --2014 Salsa Mukluk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbarsix
    Nice bike! I love doing errands by bike.
    Thanks! I like running errands with the bike too. It gives me a purpose to ride and makes errands more enjoyable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Hey:

I just read your thread from over a year ago about your LHT. I am currently looking between a LHT and a CC. I essentially want the same rack and panniers that you have. My biggest qualm is that as a graduate student, I won't really get to go on tours (can't afford to take a few days off), this bike would be more for lugging a lot from Costco, and then using it to go out on longer road rides. Thus, not weighed down all the time. Many people have said, if this is the case, the CC is the way to go, as the LHT "doesn't ride well unweighted." Can you speak to this?

I would go CC, but am worried about the noted "heel clearance" issue when carrying larger panniers. Which I would want when lugging around the said groceries.

I'm using/would be using a Steamroller for my commute to campus. So this bike would be purely for long rides and grocery runs. How is your LHT a year later? And what can you say about riding it unloaded?

Sorry for length, but wanted to paint the entire picture. Thanks in advance!

Brad (would have PM'd but since I'm new, I can't do that until 10 posts)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast