JP
    Lizzie will ride free

Presto Chango Rando Bike

So all this talk about dedicated rando bikes prompted me to get some pictures out of my camera. A while ago, I got an old Raleigh Pro in almost new old stock condition. I was very happy about this find, as I had the exact bike back in the late '70's. So I hung it in the garage and hardly ever used it.

In the meantime, I've been thinking about riding a bit with the local randonneurs, and nothing else in the garage seemed "right." So I put a bunch of the beautiful old parts in ziplocks and built this up. Don't worry, I can always put it back to stock if I want to. It's not really perfect, for it could use a bit more room for tires and fenders, but it should do. It rides beautifully.

Before pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Presto Chango Rando Bike-bike.jpg   Presto Chango Rando Bike-p-ramplin.jpg   Presto Chango Rando Bike-dropout.jpg   Presto Chango Rando Bike-brake.jpg   Presto Chango Rando Bike-hood.jpg  

Presto Chango Rando Bike-gb.jpg  
    "Another shot of the 6th Street Bridge. I guess I'm feeling sentimental because word is they're going to tear it down and build a replacement." DrRoebuck

http://subterraneanhomesickrandonneurblues.blogspot.com

JP
    Lizzie will ride free

After Pictures

I'm sure the bike won't slow me down.

I'd better put in the miles if I want to "earn" that mud flap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Presto Chango Rando Bike-shot-1.jpg   Presto Chango Rando Bike-shot-2.jpg   Presto Chango Rando Bike-rear-flap.jpg   Presto Chango Rando Bike-front.jpg   Presto Chango Rando Bike-carradice.jpg  

"Another shot of the 6th Street Bridge. I guess I'm feeling sentimental because word is they're going to tear it down and build a replacement." DrRoebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Very nice!
    Did you make changes to the drive train? Gearing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    That front bag looks like you are using the bike to deliver pizza's

j/k looks great!

vegan cyclocross disco
    good stuff. very nice.

is that seat comfy like that? seems awfully tipped back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Which Carradice bag is that? Looks bigger than my Barley.

That is such a sweet bike ... before and after!

RoadBikeReview Member
    That flap is the shiznit! And your lighting system is great too... looks like a SON hub with E6 and Lumotec lights. Is the Lumotec halogen or LED? Great set-up!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Slick! Is it that or the Atlantis on Saturday?

JP
    Lizzie will ride free
    Thanks guys! Answers to the questions:

Yes, I changed all the gearing. There is no way I can ride very long distance here without some low gears. As MB says, "if I'm gonna go geared, I'm going to have all of them." So I put on a Sugino triple, Campy long cage derailleur, and a 7 speed 13-28. It's funny because I have a 7 speed block, a 9 speed chain, and 10 speed derailleurs, yet the sun still came up the next day! Let's hear it for friction shifters. Oh, and to amplify the total dork factor, the freewheel has 6 silver cogs and one black one that just screams, "DUDE CAN'T CLIMB." On the other hand, this freewheel shifts way better than the straight teeth from back in the day.

The pizza delivery bag came for free a while ago when I got a used Bike Friday. I never thought I would use it, but it's 100% waterproof, and I found I really need a map case to follow the que sheets these guys use. It's not as big as it looks ;-)

Yes, the saddle is comfy. I need to tilt it a degree or two more nose down, but I have always ridden my saddles nose up. I find it keeps me from sliding forward and keeps weight off my arms. I've been in this camp my whole life and I never have saddle problems, so I'm lucky there.

The primary is a very cool light. It's a D-lumotec plus, so that means it's an LED and has a standlight. The reason I went with this is that it gets to full brightness at a walking pace and has the "not gonna burn out" feature of the LED. Seems like a winner.

That rear bag is huge. It's a Nelson Longflap. Obviously more volume than one needs for just riding around, but I was just sorting stuff out. It is quite a transition to go from "racing bikes" to all this capacity. The bags are rock solid. You forget the rear one is even there until the road kicks up.

As far as the flaps go, I feel like a bit of a poser since I have not done a series yet, but I suppose it's not like wearing the world stripes. (he ducks)

You guys have a great day.
    Last edited by JP; 02-07-2008 at 11:30 AM.

JP
    Lizzie will ride free
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnute
    Slick! Is it that or the Atlantis on Saturday?
    I'm thinking Raleigh. You?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I'm thinking Raleigh. You?
    Cross-Check.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Sweeeeettttt!!!!!!!!!! Nice looking bike. Simple, practical and way up there on the cool factor.