RoadBikeReview Member

Raven Ride (Huntsville, TX)

My husband and I went on the "Raven Ride" on Saturday. This ride is put on by a swim team in Huntsville, TX as a fund raiser.

We have a little place on the lake near there, so we thought it would be a great way to spend our anniversary weekend.

We woke up Saturday morning at 5:45. I reluctantly rolled out of bed, started some coffee, and opened the back door. BRRRRRRRRRRR! It was 37 degrees. Steam was covering the lake.

We didn't really plan for temps THAT low. We did have arm/knee warmers and wind vests, and ear covers. So we weren't totally screwed.

As it turns out, by the time we lined up to start the ride the sun had come out and it had warmed up a good bit, and I was quite comfortable with warmers and a vest.

The start was a bit odd. First there were boy scouts to present the colors, then we all said the pledge of allegiance, then a lady sang the National Anthem.

Then the announcer said the most odd thing... he said something like "Well, most people say it ain't over till the fat lady sings. We don't get started till the fat lady sings!" There were boos from the crowd. How rude of him! But that's OK, cause then he prayed over us. Apparently either the Raven's are a religiously affiliated organization, or we were deep in some sort of bible belt. I'm not sure which! Either way, we got started about 15 minutes behind schedule what with all the prayin' and singin' and such.

For the ride, there were 10, 20, 33, 53 and 63 mile options. The ride is decidedly hilly, through the Sam Houston National Forrest. We choose the 33 mile ride.

The cannon went off (oh ya, there was a cannon) and off we went! As we turned the corner from the line up to the road, I noticed about 25 Harley Davidsons ridden by club members in full leathers. They were here to support us! They all patrolled the routes all day long, blocking off roads if cops weren't there for us, indicating to vehicles to SLOW DOWN, etc. They were excellent!

We stopped at one point to take a picture, and a SAG truck and a Harley were both on us in a matter of minutes asking us if we needed anything.

The rest stops were OK, nothing spectacular. Chex mix, bananas, water, gatoraid at the first stop. The second stop had those things plus peanut M&M's, homemade brownies, and other goodies, plus a dude playing guitar.

It looked like the majority of the riders choose the 50 or 60 mile routes, as we split off there, and there were much fewer riders the last 10 miles.

The views were great. Tall pine trees, shaded hills and valleys. It was a good work out with beautiful road to distract us. Temps were great.

At the end of the ride they had a fajita dinner ready for us, with the traditional stuff plus some jalapeno quail someone probably shot on their property, lol. Unfortunately my body just wasn't QUITE ready to each much yet, so I nibbled a little beef fajita and then we headed back to the lake house (with a pit stop to pick up for Popeye's chicken for later).

Overall it was a very nice ride, challenging hills, beautiful pine trees, very well supported. We'll do it again next year, maybe the 63 mile route!

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Sounds like this is the sort of ride if you aren't careful you will gain weight.

My kind of ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Bacon!
    That oak and pine country is pretty. Reminds me of the California foothills in our neck of the woods. I'd love that lake. Looks like lots of photo ops.
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”