RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

Ride Report: Utopia!

Two weeks ago I went out to the town of Utopia, Texas with my cousin to a ride with the San Antonio Wheelmen. There ended up not being very many people who showed up, only about a half dozen other riders. We had just had a cold front move in, it had lowered the temps from the mid to upper 80's down to the upper 60's just perfect for riding in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1377.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    The first dozen or so miles are completely flat and easy going. However we're a couple of slow riders and quickly got left behind after only about 2 miles. The ride over to the town of Vanderpool is down in a small valley with some nice views of the surrounding hills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1378.jpg   Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1382.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    After we rode through the town of Vanderpool we turned off onto Ranch Road 337 and the climbing starts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1388.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    After a mile long climb at 8.75% grade the grade lets off. We stopped for a view of the surround hill country. We saw a couple of other riders come along, we weren't sure if they were a couple of late arrivers for just some other riders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1393.jpg   Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1394.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    After the first big climb the next dozen miles go across the top of a series of hills with a few minor climbs. At the end of this section you come to the final descent which has a series of S-curves that are fun when going 40 mph! No photo's of the final descent as I was having too much fun flying along!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1397.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    After a few miles of rolling terrain we came riding into the town of Leakey. We made a stop here for a quick snack. There were an unusuall amount of people here, I'm not sure what was going on. But after we got off of a short section of Hwy 83 and turned off onto Farm Road 1120 we left the traffic behind. Going across FR 1120 would normally be pretty easy as it's a flat road. However we had started the ride with a tail-wind and were now heading right into it. We crossed over the Little Frio river as we were heading towards the "town" of Rio Frio. The cypress trees were showing some fall colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1402.jpg   Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1404.jpg   Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1410.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    After we turned off and got onto Ranch Road 1050 the hills started back up again. We had also changed direction so the wind was coming from the side and wasn't so bad. There are a couple of small climbs along this road along with some nice down hill sections as well. Unfortunately as I was riding and photographing I managed to move the dial on top of the camera which controls the exposure mode. So most of the pictures along this last section got wiped out. We were starting to get a bit tired out with all the hill climbing and wind fighting and we welcomed the last couple of miles as they were all down hill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1421.jpg   Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1423.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Once we arrived back in Utopia we found out everybody else in the ride were long gone. We ended up getting 49 miles for the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Utopia!-crw_1434.jpg  

Downhill Juggernaut
    I love the hill country. Next time I head down there I need to make sure my bike goes with me.
    If running were a person I would try to sabotage their life so that they were poor and drunk and living in the gutter pulling half smoked cigarettes from ashtrays in front of the Target. - Joe Daddio

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Thanks for the pics

That's a great shot of the river. I've been through the hill country, but unfortunately not on a bike. Great ride report. Thanks for sharing.
    " He was so ticked off, he live-birthed a litter of warthogs and sicced 'em on those guys."

Who needs a map?
    How deep is that river? It's so clear (rare in TX) that it's just begging for inner tubes or canoes.

I miss the hill country - so much better scenery than Dallas. Post more often!
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    The river is only a few feet deep right next to the road. It's probably a little deeper further out though. I've never gone swimming there but there's a number of cabins for rent in the area.