MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!

We are back in DC after a winter in Florida and it is time to ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3499.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3503.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3504.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3509.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3512.jpg  

Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3515.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3521.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3523.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3524.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3527.jpg  

Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3529.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3535.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3537.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3541.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    We decided to head south on the Mt. Vernon Trail.

Mid-week mid-day the trail is about as empty as it gets. Compared to where we had been riding in Central Florida an empty MVT was busy indeed.

But the riding was good and there was something to see around every bend.

After we hit the turn around at George's estate we headed over to Maryland across the Wilson Bridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3548.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3550.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3553.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3557.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3561.jpg  

Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3563.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3566.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3569.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3571.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3579.jpg  

Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3591.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    After 6 months not much had changed but we were glad to see the Humpback Bridge rebuild was just about completed. It looks to be a vast improvement for the trail.

It was a nice to be back and we really enjoyed the ride through our old haunts.

It is going to take a while before we get into a routine and everything old is old again. Looking forward to it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3594.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3597.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3603.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3606.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3601.jpg  

Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3609.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3614.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3615.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3617.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3622.jpg  

Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3623.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3626.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3627.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3630.jpg   Riding the Mt. Vernon Trail with a rebel child!-imgp3638.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd stay in Florida. Enjoy your time up North!

Go Blue
    Welcome back.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Power Napper
    Did Miss M get a bigger fanny pack. Or did she just get smaller??
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    You make DC look nice. I'd like to try those paths someday.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by theBreeze
    Did Miss M get a bigger fanny pack. Or did she just get smaller??
    I am afraid she lost weight.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by My Own Private Idaho
    You make DC look nice. I'd like to try those paths someday.
    DC is nice (mid-week mid-day). We'd never do that ride on a weekend or after work (that is, if we worked!!!).

Power Napper
    Dang! Feed that woman. Peanut Buster Parfait ASAP!
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

Who needs a map?
    All those dedicated bike paths almost make me miss living in the DC area. Almost.
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

What it is
    Wow! How many miles of non-motor pathways did that ride encompass? I am jealous.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by KenS
    Wow! How many miles of non-motor pathways did that ride encompass? I am jealous.
    You can easily get in 150 miles around here by combining a few MUTs.

Just don't try it on a nice weekend!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I used to take the Mt. Vernon trail up into DC from Alexandria, when I lived in the latter. Nice view, but it was flat and I always used to mumble to myself about too many 'civilians' (i.e. non-experienced cyclists, walkers, rollerbladers, etc) on the path.

Right now, I live in DC proper. My commute is about 1.5 miles, down from 7. C'est la vie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Ok, so is the rebel child the smudge on the lens of the camera or is it an inside joke, that I'm not supposed to get?

Potatoes
    Enjoy the 'sea change' Nice report

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weiwentg
    Right now, I live in DC proper. My commute is about 1.5 miles, down from 7. C'est la vie.
    Seven into DC on the MVT? Sounds like you lived in Del Ray.
    Ken
    Ladonna Batiste-Williams: “I married a goddam musician, Ain’t no way to make that $#!↑ right.”

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    DC is nice (mid-week mid-day). We'd never do that ride on a weekend or after work (that is, if we worked!!!).
    Yeah, the Mount Vernon trail is mentally exhausting on a nice weekend day. Lots of corners, roots and pedestrians of every shape, size and speed.

After dealing with the humpback bridge construction for the last year (I commute over it), the almost finished bridge sure is nice isn't it? The turn onto the 14-th street bridge could have been better designed though.

Well, enjoy the pleasant weather. This week has been awesome. Soon the whole place will turn into an oven.

Bacon!
    I was confused by the lack of any riders in any of your pics. I thought it was some sort of photoshop trick!

Always love your reports.
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”