Thread: Runaway wheel!

RoadBikeReview Member

Runaway wheel!

Ever had this happen to you while riding? I was going downhill on the busiest road on a my commute (5 lane) and catch something out of the corner of my left eye, only to see a large tire and rim go flying past me. The wheel must have been traveling at least 30-40 mph and certainly would have taken me down if it had hit me, only missing me by a few feet. It hit a curb about 20 feet in front of me, bounced into the air about 10 feet and then continued rolling down the road. Shortly after that a school bus passed me very closely and then moved right, forcing me to the curb. If I hadn't shifted to my right it certainly would have hit me. This is on a marked city bike route with no bike lanes, but plenty of "Share the Road" and bike route signs posted along it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had the same thing happen once about 6-7 years ago. It was a dead quiet Sunday morning. The tire came down a hill into a T-insection. I don't know why I even looked up there, except maybe that I caught a glimpse of something moving in my preipherral vision. I slowed. It shot across the intersection, hit th curb and soared into vacant land below the street. I didn't see a soul up the hill where the tire came from...

Big is relative
    I had a small trailer pass me one morning on my way to work in Hawaii. It had come off a construction truck and had spun around so the tongue was dragging behind. I was one of those round hoop hitches like the military uses. It was dark and the spark show was spectacular.

After about a year of commuting through west Oahu, nothing really suprised me anymore.
    Retired sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I've had more bad, scary experiences with school busses than any other vehicle on the road. If they squeeze me I try to talk to the driver if possible. If I can't do that I get the bus's number & report it to the school system.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    I've had more bad, scary experiences with school busses than any other vehicle on the road. If they squeeze me I try to talk to the driver if possible. If I can't do that I get the bus's number & report it to the school system.
    Same here - they don't give an inch. The only person I know who ever got hit from behind, it was a school bus.