Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Separate bike for commuting? Disc brakes?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Anti-gravity 
#1 ·
Plan to start commuting to work and am considering a separate bike from my road bike for a number of reasons, mainly which are so I can set it up with lights, reflectors, and panier bag, which I presume I will want/need. Also wonder if in-line brake levers are a good idea. I have some old wheels and Dura Ace parts lying around and could presumably put together most of a bike if I had a frame. Was looking at the Surly Karate Monkey and noted the disc brake mounts, and then started wondering if that is overkill for a commuter or a good idea for the extra braking power, perhaps if wet, presuming cable discs would work with my Dura Ace levers. I love the discs on my mountain bike, but wonder if overkill for commuter.

#2 ·
Tahoe Gator said:
Plan to start commuting to work and am considering a separate bike from my road bike for a number of reasons, mainly which are so I can set it up with lights, reflectors, and panier bag, which I presume I will want/need. Also wonder if in-line brake levers are a good idea. I have some old wheels and Dura Ace parts lying around and could presumably put together most of a bike if I had a frame. Was looking at the Surly Karate Monkey and noted the disc brake mounts, and then started wondering if that is overkill for a commuter or a good idea for the extra braking power, perhaps if wet, presuming cable discs would work with my Dura Ace levers. I love the discs on my mountain bike, but wonder if overkill for commuter.
For the technical part, Avid road calipers are made to be used with road levers.

I have discs on two of my bikes - one is my everyday ride and the other my CX bike. I love them. They haul my 200 lb a$$ to a stop rain or shine - period. Nothing else does.

TF

#3 ·
Tahoe Gator said:
Any of the Soma or Surly frames are great. If you want a disc brake commuter, what about a Redline cross frame? Disc ready and the avids should work with your STI stuff. You can probably find a used one in a month or so. You can run some larger tires and have more fender clearance with cantilever or disc brakes plus the fenders are easier to remove when you don't want them. I commute in wet conditions frequently and I find that caliper brakes work just fine. There have been some mornings that the MUT has been so muddy that I wished for cross tires just to get a little traction. Can't fit them on my fender and caliper brake commuter.

#4 ·
Disc brakes

Tahoe Gator said:
Excellent option for commuting, not only for the increased power but the fact that your rims won't get eaten up from constant slowing down for traffic signals. My boss has gone through about 10 rims in the last 15 years on his commuter because of the rainy, gritty winter weather and the many stop signs along his commute.

Check out the Redline Conquest Disc R. It's a complete 105-level bike with Avid discs. I think the going price is around $1400. Anything by Surly is also a good choice.

-R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.