Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Soma Stanyan rear rack suggestions

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Chris_T 
#1 ·
Hi all:

So I went to put my venerable Blackburn MTN rack on it's third bike (very durable) and ran into a problem. The front arms interfere with the Tektro R539 brake on my Soma Stanyan. I tried running them inside and outside the braze-on but no dice.

Has anybody else run into this? Any suggestions for a new rack that will work better?

View attachment 276090

#3 ·
I have mounted racks in the same situation by using a spacer and a longer screw. Those useless nuts that come with tubes actually make good spacers. You may have to put a slight bend in the rack stays. I have started using tubulas racks or their less expensive brand (rack time?) as they allow the stays to move in or out as needed.

#10 ·
Extra spacers to push the arm in or out is a good and easy first step. Presta nuts work well as a spacer.

If that doesn't work some serious bending and or drilling might be in order. Rack stays can be contorted in all sorts of ways. A vice and a pair o pliers work wonders. You can always change where the stay makes a half twist so you can then bow the stay to get around the brake.

You could also skip the normal mounting points and mount to something like this seatpost collar that has rack mounts. I use something similar on my touring bike to deal with some issues with making the stays work from a Tubus rack.

#11 ·
I have the same issue on my Salsa Casseroll. What I did was connect the one arm that fits without issues, and then the second arm I used a p-clip with, mounting it higher up on the seat stay such that it did not interfere with the caliper. Works great for carrying a trunk bag or moderately loaded panniers. IMO I'm more worried about the stress on my rear wheel with heavy loads than I am about the rack's stability.

Scott

#14 ·
Hi all:

So I went to put my venerable Blackburn MTN rack on it's third bike (very durable) and ran into a problem. The front arms interfere with the Tektro R539 brake on my Soma Stanyan. I tried running them inside and outside the braze-on but no dice.

Has anybody else run into this? Any suggestions for a new rack that will work better?

I had the same problem on my 2010 Casseroll. This was my solution for a Topeak rack, but I imagine it would work for most other racks as well. Been using this for over 6 years.

Just take off the caliper, and attach this behind it, re-install the caliper. Easy and cheap.

View attachment 276090
Yellow Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.