RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

Tandem by air at no extra charge

MB1, philippec , since reading your posts…..
    Look what I find, too good to be true?
    "Do you want to take a bicycle on your next flight with Virgin Atlantic? Non-motorised bicycles including tandems, in protective box or bag can be carried in addition to your free baggage allowance and at no extra charge."
    http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/hk...ts/cycling.jsp

Anybody have done that?
    Last edited by kai-ming; 02-26-2009 at 06:05 PM.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    When we flew to Germany from the US we were charged $165 for our S&S coupled tandem which was in a large suitcase. When we flew from Germany to the US there was no charge for the exact same package.

I'd suggest that charges are applied somewhat at random. Be prepared to pay and hope that you won't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by kai-ming
    MB1, philippec , since reading your posts…..
    Look what I find, too good to be true?
    "Do you want to take a bicycle on your next flight with Virgin Atlantic? Non-motorised bicycles including tandems, in protective box or bag can be carried in addition to your free baggage allowance and at no extra charge."
    http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/hk...ts/cycling.jsp

Anybody have done that?
    Richard Branson is an old hippy--I can believe it.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    When we flew to Germany from the US we were charged $165 for our S&S coupled tandem which was in a large suitcase. When we flew from Germany to the US there was no charge for the exact same package.

I'd suggest that charges are applied somewhat at random. Be prepared to pay and hope that you won't have to.

We got ourselves the hardware that I intended to fly with which cost a little less that your $165 baggage charge, i.e. HK$1000.
    Now, it is not the issue of how I am going to get it on a plane. It is how I am going to get my lady up slopes if we find some on the way, not to mention the fully loaded panniers. She is like a big big rock to haul up slope even if she try hard to help, the worst thing is our cadence do not match, I had been forced to push hard at slow cadence, she is not a serious cyclist. We have tried small hills 150m vertical height 10% slope, and I think I damaged my right knee to a centain extent while doing that. I have to turn her to a real cyclist to make the project works. Guess what you would encounter if you ever ask a lady what to do ? I know steering her interest towards your interest is one way to go. Get another lady is out of the question. Any help you can offer ?

Need to see more photos of my HK$1000 tandem before offering your help?
    Last edited by kai-ming; 02-27-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Born from Jorts®
    I was trying to find the cheapest bike fees, along with airfare for upcoming LAX to Paris. Everything from $300 EACH WAY on Delta , to $175-ish on the rest. Then we found Air Tahiti Nui. Non-stop LA to Paris, bikes fly FREE. Winner.

I've also flown LAX to Mpls, MN on American, dragging a big cardboard bike box up to the counter, and was never charged a dime either direction. They were strictly basing it on the weight, not the contents.

YMMV

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    When we flew to Germany from the US we were charged $165 for our S&S coupled tandem which was in a large suitcase.
    Was it the 26"x26"x10" suitcase that is supposed to be within airline size for regular luggage or something bigger?