Non non normal

A three night and four day cycling and camping excursion

The trip itinerary was this:

Thursday- After work, Leave Havre de Grace, cross the river, camp along the road
    Friday- Meet friend in Elkton and ride to Killens State Park in Delaware
    Saturday- Friend rides back to Elkton and I continue to Trapp Pond State Park in De.
    Sunday- Ride to Bethany Beach to meet family for a week at the ocean
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Non non normal

First evening

It was hot and humid but a nice ride along the path of the river before the dam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1275-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1278-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1281-low-res.jpg  
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Non non normal

On the other side

The climb out from the river made for some interesting sites
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1282-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1284-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1287-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1290-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1292-low-res.jpg  

A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1296-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1298-low-res.jpg  
    Last edited by bigrider; 08-14-2007 at 06:03 AM.

Non non normal

Friday was hot

It was a longer and very hot ride on Friday. We left at 11 in the morning and rode through the heat on the flat parchment of paper called central Delaware.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1301-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1304-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1305-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1312-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1314-low-res.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Non non normal

Saturday was really hot

I was alone and riding through the heat and having a nice ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1321-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1328-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1332-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1336-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1337-low-res.jpg  

A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1339-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1348-low-res.jpg  

Non non normal

I swore them off

It was so hot when I got to the campground that I didn't feel like riding 15 miles round trip to get a good meal so I ate 8 hotdogs. 3 for lunch, 3 for dinner and twoe for breakfast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1350-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1351-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1353-low-res.jpg  
    Last edited by bigrider; 08-13-2007 at 07:19 AM.

Non non normal

Sunday was a nice ride

To the beach and the wind decided to blow from the east instead the south. That way I had the wind in my face the whole ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1363-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1364-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1365-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1366-low-res.jpg   A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1370-low-res.jpg  

A three night  and four day cycling and camping excursion-img_1371-low-res.jpg  
    Last edited by bigrider; 08-13-2007 at 07:22 AM.

Shirtcocker
    Looks like a great trip...hot though!
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    One assumes you were treated to the usual rural Deleware poultry and swine farm aromas.......

The rivers look nice, the 'dogs are no suprise, any issues with the trailer?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

N. Hollywood, CA
    Feb 2005

holy cholesterol!

Quote Originally Posted by bigrider
    It was so hot when I got to the campground that I didn't feel like riding 15 miles round trip to get a good meal so I ate 8 hotdogs. 3 for lunch, 3 for dinner and twoe for breakfast.
    Eight hot dogs in 3 meals! Hopefully you had a glass of red wine (or 3) to cut the cholesterol.

I have good memories of summer vacations in my childhood where we took the Cape May - Lewes ferry and then drove south through Delaware past lots of fireworks stands and cornfields. Definitely flat! It was always nice to arrive at our campsite on Chincoteague Island...

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Is that salt eating through your shorts?
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    One assumes you were treated to the usual rural Deleware poultry and swine farm aromas.......

The rivers look nice, the 'dogs are no suprise, any issues with the trailer?
    In addition to the standard fare of aromas we went past a sweet corn processing plant. The big dump trucks hauling away the corn husks and cobs dripped streams of putrified corn juice on the road leaving a special smell.

No issues with the trailer. It worked well buuuuut, my buddy borrowed a Yakima and it seemed to be easier to hook up and was a little more stable. My waterproof bag that I bought for the trailer from Nashbar worked well. Overall I give the trailer a B grade.

The river is less than a mile from my house. It is the largest fresh water source of the chesapeake bay providing more than 50 percent of the fresh water in the upper bay.

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck

Yes that is salt. If I would have had a dark single colored jersey on there would have been three times that much salt deposited on my jersey. It was HOT. I am talking upper 90s and high humidity. I had to constantly take in fluids and salty food. It still took a whole day to hydrate back to a normal level after the ride.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    It's from the hot dogs.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

"El Bwana"

Thanks for posting

Twenty years ago, I lived in Newark for a few years and worked in Middletown. Looks like the Summit Bridge over the C & D. Brings back memories of a much simpler time.

MB1, don't remind me about the chicken farms. I was doing groundwater investigations downstate and had to sample manure piles, septic systems, and hog waste ponds.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"