Thread: Top tube bag

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Top tube bag

I've been on the search for a top tube bag. One issue that I've found is when standing/pedaling, my thigh brushes up against the bag. Very annoying. Since I ride fixed, I do stand enough for this to be an issue. What I need is a quick access to food and a place to put some small personal stuff (phone, keys, etc.). Any suggestions?
    48x18

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Handlebar bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Re: Top tube bag

Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    Handlebar bag.
    This.
    Bento bags are for racing. Handlebar bags are for when you actually want to carry stuff.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks guys. I should have mentioned that my handlebar set up is similar to this:

Which is why I went with a top tube bag over a handlebar or stem bag. Both seemed to interfere with the brake lever.

Edit: I think this will fit the bill nicely.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...2&ProductID=12
    Last edited by 2:01; 03-16-2013 at 06:22 AM.
    48x18

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've not used that model, but the Revelate bags are thoughtfully and solidly constructed.
    You won't be disappointed with the construction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdhawkhill View Post
    I've not used that model, but the Revelate bags are thoughtfully and solidly constructed.
    You won't be disappointed with the construction.
    Just placed order. Only thing I'm concerned about is if it will hit my knee while pedaling.
    48x18

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't give any advice on that part.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I have three bottle basements and cages on my tourer. There is a gap between the two top cages. It shouldn't be difficult to jury rig something in that space. The spread between the pedals ensures that you'll not hit the cages or the pack. I also travel with a top trunk that is insulated that is very handy.

Cowboy up
    I've used the frame pack with success. The bag you selected seems well located to hit your knees.

Frame Packs

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Art853 - I think that would be the best solution. After a month on the Revelate bag, my knee does hit the bag enough to be very annoying. Especially on extended climbs when I'm up out of the saddle for a looooong time. That bag has found its permenant place on my MTB.

I may have to go custom, but something like a frame wedge pack that fits on the front will probably work best, as it gives me quick access to food.
    48x18

your text here
    i have seen some stem bags that might help you out. a lot depends on what you are carrying.

i think banjo brothers has a few good stem bags for around $25. Heck, I saw a BB copycat at Target last week for about $20.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    I would find a way to make a handlebar bag work. Lots of different mounting systems out there that could work around brake levers on the flats. The Jandd handlebar bag mount is a tad clunky, but it does hold the bag out from the tops pretty well.

Alternatively, you could get a small front platform rack - similar to what came stock on the Salsa Casseroll for a couple years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I think problem solved for now. But I'll continue to look for better options.

48x18