Bacon!

Tour of the Sacramento Isles

We were getting tired of the near 0F degree weather where I live here in Reno, NV, so we headed down to Sacramento to take advantage of the balmy 40F stuff they were having. It actually almost made it to 50 but started below freezing. It was the first time I've ever seen ice on the rice paddies. We had a small group consisting of myself, my wife, and some friends. The ride went pretty good but we only got 54 miles in due to a series of mishaps that cost us some time. 3 flats in a one mile section, one person running 1/2 hour late, etc. But, it was still nice to get some miles in. The route basically runs south of Sacramento from Franklin, CA down around the Delta region winding along the Sacramento and San Juaquin Rivers. It's flat as a billiard table and sometimes even drops you below sea level. But, for this time of year the cool weather, windless day, and flat riding made for a great get away.

Here's the link that I found that provided a route for us: http://home.att.net/~rfzipf/IH_Map.htm. We cut the 95 mile loop in half to save time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tour of the Sacramento Isles-1coldstart.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-2farmsroads.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-3canals.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-4fruittrees.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-5bridge.jpg  

Tour of the Sacramento Isles-6const.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-7waiting.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-8bridgetoo.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-9looking-down.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-10flat.jpg  

“To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

Bacon!

Continuing ON

There are a lot of old farm and delta mansions along the route. Some of them are pretty grand. Except for when we were on SR160 there was very little traffic and very few people. Saw one small group of riders but otherwise pretty quiet. Lots of fruit trees and frozen oranges. The crops got pretty much wiped out unfortunately. Heading into the town of Ryde we came upon a neat old hotel and then rode on into Isleton for lunch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tour of the Sacramento Isles-11bwcanal.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-12mansion.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-13countryside.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-14hotel.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-15isleton.jpg  

Tour of the Sacramento Isles-16isletonjoes.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-17lunch.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-18group.jpg  
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Man, you folks were dressed like it was cold or something.

Hint-if the river ain't frozen it ain't cold.

MB1
    Cold at last, now if we would just get some snow!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Bacon!

Out of Isleton back to the Cars

From Isleton we hit the first major climb of the day. All of 50 feet or so of it. And then it was quiet levee roads back through the towns of Cumberland and Walnut Grove. They were evidently doing exploration for oil as there were rigs scattered all over the place. I threw in a sloppy self portrait just for the heck of it. As the sun began to set our shadows shared the land with a bunch of fat lazy cows. What a great way to end a ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tour of the Sacramento Isles-19bridge.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-20lowshot.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-21climbing.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-22oilrigs.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-23selfportrait.jpg  

Tour of the Sacramento Isles-24barge.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-25town.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-26frozenoranges.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-27shadows.jpg   Tour of the Sacramento Isles-28almostback.jpg  

Tour of the Sacramento Isles-29shadowend.jpg  

Bacon!
    It started out fairly cool (just about freezing) but got warmer as the day went on. I think we must be wimpy or something because most of us didn't shed any clothes as the day progressed. As long as we were riding I was as cozy as a bug in a rug, but as soon as we stopped for anything I was sweating profusely.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    BTW I'd stop for lunch like that anyday (Miss M might hold off on something like that until dinner).
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

duh...
    Neato. I spent a lot of time in that area as a kid.

Did you know that that bigazz tower is the tallest man-made structure in Calif? and something like the 3rd tallest is the entire US

Cipo's long lost cousin

Nice one Sean!

Glad to see you getting in the miles... Bundling up every morning for the commute is getting a little old in this cold weather... At least I got Mt. Rose on the weekends
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

Have a nice day
    Nice pics!

This is getting weird though because people keep posting pics of places where I used to live. I have a 10 year old photo on my desk here of my toddler son and I having picnic at the little park just to the left of this bridge:

In need of sock puppet
    Isn't that the bridge crossing onto Grand? If so, I've done that route a couple of times previously - nice ride.

Bacon!
    I didn't know that. It sure stands out from all over the place though. Makes a good landmark.

Bacon!
    Yeah, I think that's the bridge crossing onto Grand (or one just like it). It's a nice place for winter riding around there.

Bacon!
    As far as the draw bridges went, that one was the most scenic I think. I liked the way the pic came out. Nice and quiet around there.

Bacon!
    I'm trying to get miles in. I've been riding in Reno too but have been tired of the crap on the sides of the road and having to wear so many layers. We've been going up Mt. Rose to Thomas and then zig zagging around on McCarran, Lakeside, etc. Miserably cold though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like a nice ride with some nice photos.

the one of the food made me nostalgic.
    I used to eat at a place call El Desmadre on the U of I campus, but it closed down late last year. was a sad thing to bear witness to, as i dreamed of those tacos mexicanos with steak all the time. It was a great place to bring first dates because of the fried ice cream, and you had to get the honey, even though they only mentioned they had choc or strawberry.
    hmm, soo tasty

frank
    I'd rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
    -Refused

Mess O'Potamist
    those tacos look tasty

Dropout
    Quote Originally Posted by lwkwafi
    It was a great place to bring first dates because of the fried ice cream,
    Does fried ice cream appeal to women? I never tried that.

Very nice photos. I would love to go on a 54 mile ride right now, then eat that lunch.