Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Touring on a Road Bike

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  willstylez 
#1 ·
I have a CX bike with standard compact gearing (50/34 and 12/30). I did a long "over the mountain pass" ride that laid me out. The temperature was part of it, but it was more of a physical challenge than fun, though I am was glad to do it afterwards. It would have been fun if it was broken into two days, instead of one looong hot, uphill day. I had light panniers and a gallon of water, and a credit card for the motel.

I really do not want to regear my bike, nor buy a new one, but I am thinking about it. Anyone here do any long tours on a road bike, as opposed to a dedicated touring bike, and if so, what did you learn? Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
I used a Trek sport touring frame for many of my long tours, including a transcontinental trip in '85. Your CX bike has long enough chainstays that with careful loading (is there any way that you can put a low rider rack on the front?) could be stable with a camping load - even better if you aren't camping.

One of my best friends did a loop ride (Georgia - Montreal - Vancouver - San Diego - Georgia) on a Masi road bike in '79 but he had to seriously limit the gear he carried.

Your 34-30 low gear is barely higher than the 28-26 that I used on all my mountain tours. If that isn't a low enough gear you might install a cassette with a 32t large cog (if your derailleur can handle it).

#3 ·

I've done a couple tours on a stock Ridley Fenix. I really enjoyed it. I found it more comfortable and obviously faster than when I toured on a mountain bike, and the gearing was no issue for me even riding through the mountains.

I kept all my clothes and most food in the handlebar bag. This includes riding accessories like gloves, sunglasses, safety glasses, headband, beanie etc. Also had my phone and a solar charging USB power bank on top of the handlebar bag in the clear map slot. Easy navigation that way.

The top tube bag held quick access stuff like a camera, a bag of trail mix, $$$ etc. The saddlebag in between the mini panniers held my rain jacket.

The rear bag attached to my seatpost is what I use for my commutes. It held my shelter and repair kit. Tarp, hammock, bug net, sleeping bag, mini pump, tire levers, spare tubes etc. Also had a few other things, like a Sony PSP for entertainment, outlet to 4x USB slot converter + charging cables etc.

If you have any questions let me know.

#4 ·
Do you have links to the bags that you used? My wife and I have Surly LHT's with S&S couplers that we use for most of our European tours. However, we'd really like to bring our carbon road bikes for at least one of our trips. Your setup is what we had in mind.

Thanks!

#7 ·
I've been giving this some thought too, having a bike with similar gearing. I would not want to carry a full load without a granny. If I do this I would want to be able to swap in a mtn bike crank in the front, to give me a low gear. I also think I would probably invest in a trailer, rather than put the weight on the bike. The current one really isn't set up well for a rear rack, and there is no option for low riders on the front, so I am thinking a trailer would be better. But you need a low gear to pull your crapola up a hill. Even if you are touring Nebraska, you will need a low gear.

#15 ·
I just completed a tour across the country, and down most of the Pacific Coast, to San Francisco, on my do-it-all Moots....which has a compact crankset (50-34) and 12-29 cassette. A splendid ride, to say the least!

Both pics are from Colorado. The second pic is when I crossed over the Rockies, via Trail Ridge Road, through Rocky Mtn National Park....on June 15th.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.