Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by T0mi View Post
    Sometimes I tell myself I live in paradise
    You tell yourself? You just showed all of us! That is a beautiful place you live in. Man--the jealousy level in the forum has to have just spiked up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    My commute is only 2 miles, so I have to go home for lunch to get in 8 miles. My commuter bike is a Marin 29er with Marathon Plus road tires. But, I have made the trip on my Cervelo RS, Reynolds 853 single speed and my wife's 3 speed Townie. I have a good place to park my bike where stealing has not been a problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Well, Ive just learned that its a ***** to ride to work on rainy days. What a mission to get the kit dry! Arrived all muggy and dirty...still worth it. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I ride this when the weather is not so good, taking the shortest route :

This one when the sun is shining and I want to lengthen the ride with a few climbs or if I join a ride. Originally it was a road bike with taiwanese CF frame but it broke and I used the parts on a CX frame I intend to race with this autumn :
    I'm guess the following, Campagnolo 10 speed shifters, 9 speed derailleur, 8 speed cassette?

The second one is Campag 10 speed, 10 speed sram, and 10 speed shimano.

Do they work well?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaspi101 View Post
    Well, Ive just learned that its a ***** to ride to work on rainy days. What a mission to get the kit dry! Arrived all muggy and dirty...still worth it. :-)
    Mudguards help as does a jacket

Andrew
    *** Safe driving is no Accident ***
    | My Bicycling and Hiking Blog | @Twitter | YouTube | Strava |

awake

CIVIA Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by I3erto View Post
    Does anyone else ride a nice bike to work?
    I just started commuting to work, for the first time in my life, on July 20th, when I transferred to a job closer to home. I knew this was coming, so I decided to have my "ideal" commuter built-up for me. It took over three months for all the parts to become available, but I finally brought it home 10 days ago. I was riding a Lemond Sarthe (not good for commuting, at all), but now my Bryant with Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack makes my commute my favorite part of the day. Oh, and I don't have a wall rack, but the Bryant has a kick-stand, so I can park it along one wall of my small office.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatkinson View Post
    I just started commuting to work, for the first time in my life, on July 20th, when I transferred to a job closer to home. I knew this was coming, so I decided to have my "ideal" commuter built-up for me. It took over three months for all the parts to become available, but I finally brought it home 10 days ago. I was riding a Lemond Sarthe (not good for commuting, at all), but now my Bryant with Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack makes my commute my favorite part of the day. Oh, and I don't have a wall rack, but the Bryant has a kick-stand, so I can park it along one wall of my small office.

Sweetness. Nice bikes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    We've had great summer weather this year in eastern Washington's Columbia Basin. I have commuted daily since mid April, and that includes a detour to the post office before heading home for lunch too. Since family has become more time consuming my bicycle commute has become more important, and I frequently find myself taking the long way home. The chain and cogs get cleaned every two weeks, and that's about it until winter arrives. This rugged Co-Motion Americano touring bike with 40-spoke tandem wheels never quits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you commute on??-co-motion_americano_01.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
    I'm guess the following, Campagnolo 10 speed shifters, 9 speed derailleur, 8 speed cassette?
    Nope.
    Campagnolo Veloce 10 shifters
    9 speed tiagra derailleur
    shimano 10 speed cassette & chain
    with a jtek shiftmate adapter.

Does it work well ? Yes most of the time. But every few weeks I realise I can't shift to the lowest gear anymore and see the cable has slipped slightly on the shiftmate pulley and is blocked at the highest point by the "crossing" part of it. It is hard to explain for me because english is not my native language. This is quickly fixed as you only need to shift on highest gear and rotate the pulley to the initial setup. It is just annoying to have to do it sometimes.

I used to have the same setup but with a 7 speed RX100 derailleur. It worked as well except that one day the shifting went really really wrong. I tried to tweak it without luck and as I had that tiagra derailleur lying around, I told myself the rx100 derailleur's spring was busted as it was very weak and replaced it. A few minutes later I realised I had the same crappy shifting with the tiagra, then figured I was pinching the derailleur cable with the mounting rubber bands of the SKS raceblade clip-on fenders I had mounted earlier ! Although the spring was weak, the rx100 7 speed derailleur would probably still okay but at this point I wasn't going to remove a shiny new derailleur for an old one so I left the tiagra one.

The second one is Campag 10 speed, 10 speed sram, and 10 speed shimano.

Do they work well?
    Yes, it works very well. I love the campagnolo shifters ergonomy and quite hate the shimano on. I had to do a choice because I have 2 campagnolo and 2 shimano wheelseets on my bikes and like the idea to be able to swap them freely. I choosed to follow the shimano system not because it is shimano or cheaper, but because campagnolo is switching to 11 speed and the shimano system is used by both shimano and sram. I figured cassettes and chains will be much longer available in 10 speed shimano/sram version in the years to go.

On the campagnolo rear wheels I have useful but very expensive Marchisio shimano 10 speed compatible cassette for campagnolo hubs. I don't know if I will replace them when they will be worn or if I will relaced them with shimano hubs. The problem is one of my wheelset is a Shamal 16HPW of 1997. I love it and it is quite a collector item and I would like to keep it original with its HPW hub. Sadly I can't convert it anymore to shimano because the freehub shimano body is not available anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    2009 Jamis Coda Elite, flat bar road bike.

I commute through the Swedish winter, it fits studded tires just fine.

In the market for a disc brake CX bike to replace it (maybe) (if my wife allows).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    2006ish trek 7100fx. Rebuilding a steel frame Rossin though .... Just in time for winter. Sigh ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Daily Commuter when the weather cooperates is an almost stock 1974 Schwinn Continental (older than me by 12 years), even though it weighs 36lb's the bike hauls. However my commuter will be come a 2012 CAAD10 105 in about 3 weeks, cannot wait.

When its raining I take my SYM Symba scooter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    SOMA Saga, fenders, front low-riders, dynohub, wide-range gearing. Weighs a ton, but is comfortable and reliable.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Just recently started to get back to riding and commuting with my 2006 Specialized Allez. I added a Topeak MTX rack and Timbuk2 panniers. I did have to replace the carbon seat post with an aluminum one to handle the load.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you commute on??-img_7949.jpg   What do you commute on??-img_7951.jpg   What do you commute on??-img_7957.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    My new commuter - Motobecane Fantom CXX cross bike, steel frame and fork. Rides nice.

RoadBikeReview Member

Two Bikes Mainly

You folks have some awesome rides here. I would be afraid to run any of your gear in my part of Michigan when the weather gets suspect!!

1974 Schwinn Continental that I spruced up a bit.

1986 Schwinn World Sport

I also have a 1984 Panasonic LX Sport that I just picked up (mint!)

When the weather is poor (winter) I ride a TREK 4300.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Summer
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Don't have a whole photo but I use a Revelate Tangle bag on my Fisty if I am not doing an actual road ride on it.

Winter/Bad weather
    Photobucket
    36x20 winter
    36x16 summer
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 10-23-2011 at 07:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

focus

New commuter ride... Focus Wasgo 8. Dynamo front hub, Nexus 8 rear. Digging it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you commute on??-focus.jpg  

jrm
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

A Swobo Crosby

1x9 set with various parts, tires and such. Things a blast. Pics from an after work single track ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you commute on??-swobo-pic.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    I use the only bike I own for all my riding. 2006 Scott S30. Looking to upgrade my headlight from Light & Motion Solo to possibly a Niterider MiNewt Mini 300 LED. There is nothing wrong with the L & M light and will keep it as a back up, I just like the bright white light the LED setups put out as some sections of my commute do not have any street lights, house lights etc along the way. I keep a weeks worth of clothes in my office, where I can shower, so I don't have to have a rack or a backpack, just use a small backpack type bag to carry lunch, wallet cell phone and keys in. I don't ride if its raining at the time I have to leave, guess that's a good reason to think about a beater for bad weather.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Trek 7.1 hybrid, but I movd this year and can no longer commute to work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Sometimes I tell myself I live in paradise
    And you might be right. Lausanne and Montreux rank high on my list of nicest cities, and the north shore of Lac Geneva is very tough to beat as a great place to live.

Hows the TT bike for going down that 15% hill?

Also has the cold that gripped Northern Europe this winter killed off your bike commutes, or hasn't it been too bad on the lake shore?
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    And you might be right. Lausanne and Montreux rank high on my list of nicest cities, and the north shore of Lac Geneva is very tough to beat as a great place to live.

Hows the TT bike for going down that 15% hill?
    Not that good but it is so short I take it carefully.

Also has the cold that gripped Northern Europe this winter killed off your bike commutes, or hasn't it been too bad on the lake shore?
    I only did 1 or 2 days a week on the bike since early january. The wind is the biggest issue these days. And I'm slow. I took the bike today, will probably do it too tomorrow then I'll take the train for the rest of the week as they predict snow on wednesday.

But we are on the best side of the cold season, daylight time increase. I hate that part between Vevey and Cully where there is no light.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I use nice bikes to commute and shop. My roadie and CX bikes are all Ti frames and I have a 20" wheel mini velo that I ride on short trips.

To me, my bikes are tools. I service them and clean them since I love them but still, they are just my tools.

FYI, I use Kryptonite New York Locks to lock them anywhere. No cheap locks for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    On my Pinarello FpQuattro. 23km each way. Brilliant. We have a dedicated bicycle cage at work for those of us with above averagely nice bikes, so we get to lock them indoors. Going on a really nice bike is - for me at least - a great advantage, because it makes me want to bike to work thus removing the temptation to get in the car parked next to it in the garage. For really shitty days I have a back-up off-roader, an old Kona Caldera - but have to admit that it has to be a really crappy day for me to choose that over the Pina.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast