Baltic Scum

A Winter Ride Into The Country.

Yes, it actually snowed last night. Not much, maybe an inch and not enough to break out the only snowplow east of Raleigh, but enough to turn the traditional Sunday morning group ride into a solo outing.
    I'm ready with all my gear spread out in the garage. I always forget how much longer kitting up takes in the cold. Just to be sure, I'll ride by the elementary school to double check for other lost souls. Except for that cow, no one is interested and I set off alone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Winter Ride Into The Country.-trunk-gear.jpg   A Winter Ride Into The Country.-cold-gear.jpg   A Winter Ride Into The Country.-ewe.jpg   A Winter Ride Into The Country.-cow.jpg   A Winter Ride Into The Country.-shadow.jpg  

Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

Baltic Scum
    I quickly remember why one of the reasons I decided to move here twenty years ago - the roads are great, wide open and often without cars altogether. I read somewhere that North Carolina has the second highest number of highway miles in the US, just behind California. I believe it.

The cotton is harvested and the collards should taste great after the first frost of the year. Some of the soy is still standing as are plenty of abandoned sheds and pack houses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Winter Ride Into The Country.-open-road.jpg   A Winter Ride Into The Country.-cotton.jpg   A Winter Ride Into The Country.-collards.jpg   A Winter Ride Into The Country.-soy.jpg   A Winter Ride Into The Country.-old-shed.jpg  

Baltic Scum
    Of course, it's Sunday morning and the churches are filling up. This lady cranked up her car, drove across her driveway, fired up a cigarette, opened her window and grabbed the Sunday morning paper. Gotta love your rednecks.

For some reason, this kid decided to try and make a snowman on the roof. In their front yard, the sign reads: "We can make it to the fence in 3 seconds. Can you?"
    Come on in, folks! If they dogs don't get you, our crazy kid will...

You can't shoot 'em on Sunday, but at least, you got a whole day to let 'em bleed out.
    Oh Deer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Winter Ride Into The Country.-church.jpg   A Winter Ride Into The Country.-smoker.jpg   A Winter Ride Into The Country.-boy-roof.jpg   A Winter Ride Into The Country.-sign.jpg   A Winter Ride Into The Country.-oh-deer.jpg  

Baltic Scum
    Welcome to my place , y'all!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Winter Ride Into The Country.-img_2639.jpg  

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Nice! Looks like a great day for a ride. I know what you mean about solo trips. I lead posted rides every Wed, Fri, & Sat. The rides go if the temp is 25F+ & the roads are clear. I ride alone most of the time.
    Don't believe everything you think.

your text here
    i love the "citywide speed limit 35 unless otherwise posted" and 20 feet behind it is a 45mph sign.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Needs more cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Yo no fui.
    Great shadow shots.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

Molto bene
    I lived in Goldsboro for a year when I first joined the Air Force. Lots of countryside to ride. I've thought about moving back now that I've got a family. Pretty boring place if you are a single 21 year old.

Baltic Scum
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba
    I lived in Goldsboro for a year when I first joined the Air Force. Lots of countryside to ride. I've thought about moving back now that I've got a family. Pretty boring place if you are a single 21 year old.
    Earlier in life I would not have considered Goldsboro either. I moved here from RDU after my rambling days were done and have not regretted it. Life is slow and good, everything is pretty much within riding distance, the rednecks are plentiful but harmless and we even have a couple of Starbucks' now. Best of all, the riding is year round and our club is full of good people.

If you'd like to take a look, here's a link: http://dieseldavegalloway.com/seyborocyclistsorg/

RoadBikeReview Member
    great pics

Abort Retry, Fail?

good ride report

nice work seeborough

What it is

Never on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by seeborough
    You can't shoot 'em on Sunday, but at least, you got a whole day to let 'em bleed out.
    Oh Deer!

For those who missed the reference...

It is illegal in the state of NC to hunt on Sunday. There was a proposal this year to lift the ban, and the world-will-go-to-hell-if this-passes drumbeat was intense.

Baltic Scum
    Quote Originally Posted by KenS
    For those who missed the reference...

It is illegal in the state of NC to hunt on Sunday. There was a proposal this year to lift the ban, and the world-will-go-to-hell-if this-passes drumbeat was intense.
    Winter Sundays are good to me and about the only time you can ride around off road in NC. Plus, a little peace and quiet (i.e. no gun shots at dawn) has not killed anyone yet. My hunter friends don't seem to mind too much - Sunday morning church followed by a 2 hour BBQ buffet, a short nap and the 3 pm kickoff on the couch are habits not to be given up for a freezing deer stand anyway...

Here's a pic from this past Sunday's 'cross bike outing. The field paths start behind the tall pine up ahead on the right. As you can see, we're not wearing our antler helmets. You know, just in case...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Winter Ride Into The Country.-img_5072.jpg  
    Last edited by seeborough; 12-29-2010 at 03:28 AM.