Inching to 1000 (again)

'05 Centaur Bottom Bracket Service

I have an '05 Centaur Triple crank with the corresponding Centaur bottom bracket. I was thinking about taking the bottom bracket out for cleaning, but if I am not mistaken, since it has cartidge bearings, there really isn't anything I can service. Am I right and should I just leave well enough alone since it seems to work just fine?

If I do want to pull the bottom bracket out, what tool(s) do I need to remove the bottom bracket? I believe that it is the older style with the notched bearing cup flange.

TIA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

nothing can be done

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance
    I have an '05 Centaur Triple crank with the corresponding Centaur bottom bracket. I was thinking about taking the bottom bracket out for cleaning, but if I am not mistaken, since it has cartidge bearings, there really isn't anything I can service. Am I right and should I just leave well enough alone since it seems to work just fine?

If I do want to pull the bottom bracket out, what tool(s) do I need to remove the bottom bracket? I believe that it is the older style with the notched bearing cup flange.

TIA
    Servicing is not an option. You just replace it when it dies. For what its worth I have a Veloce triple BB with ~13K miles on it and two other bikes with Centaur squares taper BB with many K's of mile and I have not noticed any degradaton. However, I avoid wet weather. I have the Park Tool. It will work but it does not allow the use of a torque wrench (a bigger issue if you have an Italian BB). There are better tools out there but at higher cost

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Do it

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance
    Iif I am not mistaken, since it has cartidge bearings, there really isn't anything I can service. Am I right and should I just leave well enough alone since it seems to work just fine?
    No. I have to disagree with weiwentg. I you just leave that BB in there, it is quite possible that you will get some corrosion of the threads, and then the thing will be frozen in the frame when it comes time to replace. Take it out, clean the threads on the BB and the frame, grease everything, and torque it to specification. There will come a time when you will thank yourself for doing this minor task.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    No. I have to disagree with weiwentg. I you just leave that BB in there, it is quite possible that you will get some corrosion of the threads, and then the thing will be frozen in the frame when it comes time to replace. Take it out, clean the threads on the BB and the frame, grease everything, and torque it to specification. There will come a time when you will thank yourself for doing this minor task.
    I was more thinking that there's nothing you can really do to service the BB's bearings, and I hadn't really seen the first part of the question. you're right, you need to clean the BB out once in a while.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    I have an older version of the BBT-4 tool, and it did not work for me, it slipped off, and I could not remove the BB. I bought this Tacx tool, which is more expensive, but it worked like a champ:

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2482-00'

Inching to 1000 (again)
    Thanks bw77. The Tacx tool is certainly cheaper than the Campy tool, which sells in the $55-$85 range. I agree that it would be best to remove the BB for all the reasons stated above. I just hate buying tools for now obsolete components.

Assuming I use either the Tacx or Park tools, which will not allow the use of a torque wrench, how tight do the cups have to be? The specs call for about 52 lb. ft. I assuming pretty tight as my trailer hitch called for 60 lb. ft. I do believe my bike is English thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bw77
    I have an older version of the BBT-4 tool, and it did not work for me, it slipped off, and I could not remove the BB. I bought this Tacx tool, which is more expensive, but it worked like a champ:

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2482-00'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    I didn't use a torque wrench, I tightened it a little at a time, until I felt a slight binding when turning the axle with my fingers, then I backed off the tension a little so the binding was gone.