QUAILMAN85749
    Oct 2008

10 Sp Ultegra RIGHT Shifter/ shifts to larger cog OK not Well to a smaller cog

Been fooling with this for months. It works better on the stand than on the road. I have cleaned and re-cleaned the shifter (had similar trouble with the left one but it is OK now). Changed cables, lubed and replaced cable housing. It seems like it needs more gumption to pull it down to the smaller cog.
    Should I consider changing the in/out spring in the deraileur?
    Should I take a link out of the chain to wind up the chain tension spring a little more?
    The shifter works pretty well when off the bike. Shifts 9 times each way; sometiimes it may not click with each attempt with the smaller lever.
    Any advice would be most appreciated! Thank you. Gil

Forever a Student
    Have you degreased the rear mech?

Usually I'd say cable drag is first culprit but seems you've sorted that.

Disconnect the cable from the mech and hold it with tension in your hand. Operate the shifter with the other hand. Does the cable flow smooth at all times? If so it's probably the mech being gunked up.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by quailman85749 View Post
    Been fooling with this for months. It works better on the stand than on the road. I have cleaned and re-cleaned the shifter (had similar trouble with the left one but it is OK now). Changed cables, lubed and replaced cable housing. It seems like it needs more gumption to pull it down to the smaller cog.
    Should I consider changing the in/out spring in the deraileur?
    Should I take a link out of the chain to wind up the chain tension spring a little more?
    The shifter works pretty well when off the bike. Shifts 9 times each way; sometiimes it may not click with each attempt with the smaller lever.
    Any advice would be most appreciated! Thank you. Gil

Just to be clear, there's no real gumption needed to from bigger to smaller cogs in the rear, since that is done by releasing tension in the cable and allowing the RD to move outboard. When you move inboard, you are adding tension to the cable.

I'm no expert on Shimano shifters, but if it seems to work well off the bike – you are getting the proper clicks – then I think the likely culprit is not the shifter but something else.

1. Problem with the cabling that is making it "stick" when you try to release tension. This would be the first thing to check, I think. You can troubleshoot it by hooking up cable/housing that directly from the shifter to the RD and seeing if it works. If it does, then you've got a bend or a catch somewhere in your cable/housing setup that is causing problems.

2. If you rule out a problem in the cable/housing, then it might also be a bent derailleur hanger. Sometimes those will manifest more on upshifts rather than downshifts (or vide versa).

Russian Troll Farmer
    Since it's on the small end, I just need to ask how your chainline is?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Since it's on the small end, I just need to ask how your chainline is?
    It would be extremely odd if it were chainline. Hell, for the last 15 or so years you can't even change it. And for it to screw up the rear shifting? Chances are so slim it's not really worth thinking about.

For the OP...is it only when going to just the smallest cog or when going from any larger cog to the next smaller cog? If it's only the 11, check the washer under the cable anchor bolt...if it's not positioned correctly the derailleur can't move down all the way. The tab has to be in the right spot. Could be the hanger. Just because you replaced the cable/housing doesn't mean you did it correctly. I'm only saying that because you've had this problem for more than 10mins. Considerably more.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

QUAILMAN85749
    Oct 2008
    When replacing the cable housing, I am really careful not to pinch/deform the end of the housing. To make sure it is not out of round, I push an awl into the end. And then I make sure the cable is clean and not picking up goobers on the floor, finally light lube as I push it into the housing. I will check the washer/ cable anchor setup in the AM. Thank you all for the ideas in this thread! Gil

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are your shift cables under the handlebar tape or do they come straight out of the shifters?

How long is your rear derailleur housing loop?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

QUAILMAN85749
    Oct 2008
    Sorry to be so tardy in replying to your kind thread. Shifter cables are under the handlebar tape (as well as the brake cables). The rear housing is 13 1/2". (I think that is an interesting point--I usually make them about 2" longer.) many thanks, Gil