RoadBikeReview Member

10 speed crank with 9 speed drivetrain: what size chain?

This probably borders on a noob question, but I thought I'd post it here first.

I want to change out the compact crankset that came with my bike to a full-sized double, and I'd also like to switch from the square-taper bottom bracket to outboard bearings. My bike has a 9-speed drivetrain. I'm looking at a Shimano 105 crankset from last year for a decent price, but it says it's "10-speed."

I've read in other threads that I should be able to use the 105's with my 9-speed drivetrain, but what size chain should I use? Should I use a 9 speed chain, or a 10-speed?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

AJL
    Rock on!
    I use a 9 speed with no apparent problems. I've also heard of guys using 10 speed chains as well.
    “In an honest search for knowledge, you quite often have to abide by ignorance for an indefinite period.”
    – Erwin Schrödinger, 1948

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL
    I use a 9 speed with no apparent problems. I've also heard of guys using 10 speed chains as well.
    I kinda figured it wouldn't matter too much, but since I have to buy a new chain anyway, I thought I'd see if anybody had a preference.
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    This probably borders on a noob question, but I thought I'd post it here first.
    My FSA "9 and 10 speed compatible" carbon pro compact had closer spacing between rings than a Campagnolo 10 speed did not work well with a 9 speed chain - it had chain rub on the big ring when pairing the small ring with the three small cogs making for no usable overlap between rings until I shimmed it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I use a Shimano HG93 chain with a 10-sp Shimano compact crank and 9-speed cassette. No shifting problems.

I might also suggest a Wipperman Conex removable link for the chain. Nice. I've used the SRAM removeable link too. While the SRAM works well, the Wipperman (for me) is easier to attach/reattach.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I run a 6600 Ultegra 53/39 crank with my DA 9 speed setup and use a DA 9 speed chain with no issues at all.

However I installed an FSA compact 9/10 speed crank on the wifes ride and with a 9 speed chain there is rub on the 4 highest cogs out back when coupled with the small ring in front, just like Drew Eckhardt stated above.

I don't think you will have that problem with the 105 crank as it should be similar to my Ultegra spacing wise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Bump

I currently have Shimano Ultegra FC-6600 crank (52/39) which is 10 speed. The rest of drivetrain is 9 speed with rear cassette being 12-25. The chain is KMC 9 speed. When I'm using small ring front (39) with rear 13 and 12, the chain starts to rub against the big ring and gets partially picked up by those small knobs on the inner face of big ring.

Yesterday, I installed 0.6mm spacer washers to widen the distance of big ring from small ring. It works but not completely. When using small front (39) with 12 rear (no problem with 13 rear), the chain still gets partially picked up by those knobs. Is this normal for FC-6600 crank or the guy who sold me KMC chain accidentally shipped 8 speed chain instead of 9 speed maybe? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    When using small front (39) with 12 rear (no problem with 13 rear), the chain still gets partially picked up by those knobs.
    I doubt it's the chain. I have a full 9-speed Ultegra 6500 bike, and it's done the same thing with Shimano, SRAM and KMC chains.

It's how the bike tells you, "Don't do that!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    So it's just the way Shimano cranks are designed?