RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017

10 year old Campagnolo Record - any good?

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for a used bike and am undecided between an old bike (10 years) with Campagnolo Record and a newer bike (3 years old) with Shimano 105. How do 10 year old Campy R compare with say 5 year old ones or today's Record? Basically I split between getting an old bike with upper end components and a newer bike with lower end components.
    Last edited by xxkilo; 1 Week Ago at 11:04 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by xxkilo View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for a used bike and am undecided between an old bike (10 years) with Campagnolo Record and a newer bike (3 years old) with Shimano 105. How do 10 year old Campy R compare with say 5 year old ones or today's Record? Basically I split between getting an old bike with upper end components and a newer bike with lower end components.
    One of my road bikes is 15 years old and had Campagnolo Centaur until last year when I upgraded to Record. I have to say that bike still shifted perfect. Buttery soft shifts.

I may be biased but I'd prefer an older Record vs a newer but lower end components unless you certainly NEED the added gear (since you're comparing 10 vs 11) than perhaps it will be advantageous to go with the newer group, but if not, Record for me.

And I'm pretty sure the old Record group will be far lighter than the new Shimano 105 group.
    Last edited by config; 1 Week Ago at 11:45 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I would get the new shimano because there's less of a chance it will have a million miles on it and if you have issues or need a chain or whatever pretty much any bike shop would have what you need and it would also give you more choice in wheels should you ever want new wheels.
    Either would work just fine assuming it's not damaged so it's more a choice of convenience than one being better than the other.

If you are talking carbon frames there's a pretty good chance the newer one is better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have lots of Campy 10-speed experience and components, so obviously I like it. But your question has so little detail about yourself, level of mechanical experience, the bikes themselves, condition, apparent wear etc that it's almost impossible to answer.

If you are new and this is a first decent road bike, I'd go with 11-speed, as we are obviously seeing the gradual disappearance of 10-speed parts. If you have little mechanical experience then Shimano is much more readily supported at your LBS's.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    I have lots of Campy 10-speed experience and components, so obviously I like it. But your question has so little detail about yourself, level of mechanical experience, the bikes themselves, condition, apparent wear etc that it's almost impossible to answer.

If you are new and this is a first decent road bike, I'd go with 11-speed, as we are obviously seeing the gradual disappearance of 10-speed parts. If you have little mechanical experience then Shimano is much more readily supported at your LBS's.
    Well, the bike I just sold had 16 year old Shimano 105 9 speed. I adjusted them myself and they actually shifted very nicely (though I don't have much to compare with). Here in Italy biking is really big and Campy is Italian so I probably won't have problems for parts and support. Here are the bikes that I'm looking at:
    3/4 year old, Shimano 105, full carbon
    https://www.subito.it/biciclette/bic...=areariservata
    10 year old, Campy R, alu frame/carbon forks, cranks, etc.
    5 year old, Campy R, full carbon

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    oh, my response about convenience did assume you were in North America.

I wouldn't decide based on group set at all. Frame, including it's fit, would be what to decide based on. I don't have a clue about those frames so no input there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The last one has Centaur 2009+ shifters. I'd avoid. If you don't know how to assess them.

The middle one is a mix of parts and the pictures don't give enough information.

The pictures generally are poor, the information is insufficient, it's still impossible.

You need to assess them in person or get much better photos. How would you assess the fit? The most important thing.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening

One.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I would buy based on the bike you think is best for you. I'm a fan of Campy Record and have it on bikes with groups from the 6 all the way through 11 speed era.

Shimano 105 is good though, a more recent used group would probably cost less than a Record 10 group.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fit first, the rest is secondary. Keep looking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    How would you assess the fit? The most important thing.
    First of all, thanks to everyone for the advice. As for fit, they are all around the same size 55-56. I'm kinda in between. The last bike I had was 56-57 and I felt I had too much reach. So these ones, with some adjustments to seat position, handle bars, I should be able to get a good fit.

The middle one has mixed parts but they all seem to be nice carbon parts. But I wouldn't really know... I can just see that they are carbon. Seems like a guy that did some upgrades over the years. He also says that the bike is repainted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The bike that you posted with Shimano 105 is 10 speed Shimano. I'd avoid it, personally. If it's 10s Shimano, then the wheels probably can't upgrade to 11s Shimano, if/when you decide to upgrade. You might have a hard time selling them also, if you decide to sell it.

In contrast, for the Campagnolo bikes, they can and will take 11s Campagnolo cassettes right now if you decide to upgrade the groupset.

Note that for the 3rd bike you posted, only the rear derailleur is Record. The shifters and crankset are Centaur. The front derailleur and brakes are probably also Centaur. For the 2nd bike, the brakes are probably not Record (I don't think that 10s Record or Chorus skeleton brakes came in silver, so they are likely Centaur, but I could be wrong). The crankset is unknown. I suspect it is lower quality than an equivalent Campagnolo crankset, but I'm not familiar with it.

I have 10s Campagnolo Chorus, and while I like it, the shifter reach isn't adjustable. I'm likely going to ditch the groupsets for new Shimano. However, 10s Campagnolo is very good. If the decision were only based on groupset, then I would definitely say to take the 10s Campagnolo over the 105 groupset. But you have to consider the above, and you want to consider your future needs also: do you plan on having other bikes? It is usually easier to keep your fleet as either all Campagnolo or all Shimano. Worth thinking about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xxkilo View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I would not be scared off by 10 year old Campy stuff. Right now I have one bike with 2002 Campy and another with 2006 Campy and the both work as well as ever. I sold a bike with 1999 Campy earlier this year and that group was still shifting fine also

RoadBikeReview Member
    ^ all good advice.

OP, based on what we can see in the pictures (poor) I would not consider any of these. Just keep looking.

I'd missed that the Shimano bike was 10-speed and agree that you should stay away.

The answer to your original question "is 10 year old Record any good?" is that yes, it can be excellent, but it can also be worn out and thrown together with a bunch of other worn parts. How would we know the difference looking at that photo? (the middle one).

The crank on that looks identical to my 2004 Truvativ Rouleur GXP. Just different lettering. It's OK but not an "upgrade".

One.