Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

105 5700 long cage?

Am I correct that I have read, that the 105 5700 long cage offers a 11-30 or 12-30 cassette, so if this is correct, is there a little fudge factor were one could get a 11-32 to work.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    according to the easily found and viewed tech spec on the 105 derailleurs, Shimano says the max tooth cog is 28, and they of course only make a 'road' cassette w/ a 28t large cog. a 30t cog may work on some bikes depending on how long the hanger is...i doubt many would work w/ a 32t cog. like any 'long cage' derailleur, the 'long' part doesn't allow bigger cogs, it just wraps more chain for a triple.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

Old Skool

Check this thread

Here is a resent thread I started asking pretty much the same question. The solution I found has worked out very well.
    Shimano 105 wider range gearing
    Last edited by Stogaguy; 10-20-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    The avatar is not me; just cool and suitably old skool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Shimano recently updated the rear derailleur to 5701.

The short cage SS version is now spec'd at 11/30 min/max and the mid cage GS version is now spec'd at 11/32 min/max

Quote Originally Posted by vettracer View Post
    Shimano recently updated the rear derailleur to 5701.

The short cage SS version is now spec'd at 11/30 min/max and the mid cage GS version is now spec'd at 11/32 min/max
    where are you seeing this? everywhere i've looked says 30tmax cog for both SS and GS...which is to be expected if they don't change the geometry of how the main body moves. as i've said before...many many times...the long cage itself does NOT allow a larger cog than the short cage. it ONLY wraps more chain for triple cranks. at this point there are no service instructions for the 5701 on shimano's site but all the places selling it are saying 30t max for both cage lengths.
    i know that shimano is pretty 'safe' w/ their recommendations and there is some room to experiement w/ different frames/hanger lengths. i would recommend that anyone wanting to try it to definitely give it a go and see if it works on their bike. but...there is obviously no way to say it will definitely work unless you do just that.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    For what it's worth, I use an Ultegra long cage RD with an 11-34 cassette on two bikes. On a newer Felt everything just worked. On an older Giant I had to find a longer B screw and reverse it, but it also worked. Despite the Shimano spec noting a 28T maximum sprocket, both bikes shift perfectly.
    Last edited by DanRC; 10-21-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Corrected cage length

RoadBikeReview Member
    The standard 105-5700 will actually take up to 32. The new 105-5701 will go to 34. You may need a longer B screw or not.

I think the industry is starting to accept that those who buy bikes actually prefer help on hills more than the possibility of 29mhp on the flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek2.3 View Post
    The standard 105-5700 will actually take up to 32. The new 105-5701 will go to 34. You may need a longer B screw or not.

I think the industry is starting to accept that those who buy bikes actually prefer help on hills more than the possibility of 29mhp on the flat.
    please link to this spec...'cuz i'm not seeing it anywhere. the 5700 is only 'supposed' to work w/ a 28. it 'might' work w/ a 30 or 32 on some bikes, but not all. i've never seen ANY shimano road derailleur that is spec'd by shimano to work w/ a 34. show me a shimano tech doc that says this is how it's supposed to work.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    i'm not seeing it anywhere.
    I'm not seeing it either. RD-5701 largest sprocket is 30T. As you said, people apparently are confusing "largest sprocket" with "wrap capacity."

Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    I'm not seeing it either. RD-5701 largest sprocket is 30T. As you said, people apparently are confusing "largest sprocket" with "wrap capacity."
    exactly...
    and installing a longer B tension screw is also known as 'doing it wrong' in case you were wondering. minimally exeprienced home mechanics who have made something work on their own bike should not give 'general' advice w/o qualifying the level of their experience.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    where are you seeing this? everywhere i've looked says 30tmax cog for both SS and GS...which is to be expected if they don't change the geometry of how the main body moves. as i've said before...many many times...the long cage itself does NOT allow a larger cog than the short cage. it ONLY wraps more chain for triple cranks. at this point there are no service instructions for the 5701 on shimano's site but all the places selling it are saying 30t max for both cage lengths.
    i know that shimano is pretty 'safe' w/ their recommendations and there is some room to experiement w/ different frames/hanger lengths. i would recommend that anyone wanting to try it to definitely give it a go and see if it works on their bike. but...there is obviously no way to say it will definitely work unless you do just that.
    I saw it on BTI's web site. I did not confirm as I assumed they just copied Shimano's specs. Maybe not.

BTI | Rear Derailleurs from Shimano (page 1)

Quote Originally Posted by DanRC View Post
    For what it's worth, I use an Ultegra medium cage RD with an 11-34 cassette on two bikes. On a newer Felt everything just worked. On an older Giant I had to find a longer B screw and reverse it, but it also worked. Despite the Shimano spec noting a 28T maximum sprocket, both bikes shift perfectly.
    MED cage? there are only SS(short) and GS(long) cages available. are you calling the GS a medium cage?
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    MED cage? there are only SS(short) and GS(long) cages available.
    The confusion on that will never go away. Shimano tech docs (top) have "short" and "long," but a number of ad copy and tech writers (text example at the bottom) use "short" and "medium" or the really silly "mid." Of course, if you can't even count zeros, what can you expect...
    Last edited by wim; 10-21-2012 at 04:41 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    MED cage? there are only SS(short) and GS(long) cages available. are you calling the GS a medium cage?
    Right you are. Somewhere I picked up medium cage for the GS and it's a hard habit for me to break. I was referring to the GS, aka long cage.

Quote Originally Posted by DanRC View Post
    Right you are. Somewhere I picked up medium cage for the GS and it's a hard habit for me to break. I was referring to the GS, aka long cage.
    compared to a mtb derailleur it looks pretty much 'medium'
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I replaced my close ratio cassette with an 11-34 Shimano cassette for a cross country tour. I also replaced my Dura Ace rear derailleur with a Shimano mt bike der & a longer chain. Worked like a charm.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Here's a picture of the box from an Ebay auction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 105 5700 long cage?-5701-gs.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Shimano is pretty conservative with it's cassette sizing, and wrap numbers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    I replaced my close ratio cassette with an 11-34 Shimano cassette for a cross country tour. I also replaced my Dura Ace rear derailleur with a Shimano mt bike der & a longer chain. Worked like a charm.
    Just to refine your statement,
    One needs to use a 9 SPEED shimano mtb RD with a mid or long cage to get this to work. An XTR 971, or XT 770.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Shimano RD 5701 supports larger cassettes - finally

thought you would be interested in this.

If you remember me I am the guy riding cross country this summer and had the issue with trying to use a 32t cassette with my Dura Ace 7800 components (for climbing).

I went in with your recommendations and my bike shop was in the process of ordering the components (Shimano MTB RD) when their supplier told them about the new Shimano 5701 RD. According to the specs the RD can support a 32t cassette:

The RD-5701-S is available in Short Cage (SS) or Mid Cage (GS) models. Silver.

Short Cage (SS): 30t max cog; 16t max chainring difference; 33t wrap capacity
    Medium Cage (GS): 32t max cog; 22t max chainring difference; 39t wrap capacity

So I decided to give it a go and had them install the 5701 RD with the Sram 12-32t cassette and the Sram chain that has a master link (versus the Dura Ace)

Results have exceeded my expectation. The literature on the RD says it incorporates "the wide link design" of the Dura Ace RD. The sifting is smooth and I can use all 10 gears in the rear with either my 34 or 50 front. There is some lag on some of the shifts - but most likely is the results of the new cable stretching - too early to tell.

I was going to switch back to the Dura Ace RD when I return from my trip but I am thinking now to just stay with the 5701.

Thank god my local bike shop was there to help me - Orleans Cycle in Orleans Mass.

Old Skool

Interesting

To cxwrench's point, I have yet to come across a Shimano tech doc that specs a Shimano road derailleur at 32T. Interesting that Shimano's packaging provided specs that their tech docs do not. Looks like Shimano is confused as well.

Personally, I feel that Shimano is missing the boat on this issue. The simple fact that this topic (how to run a 32 on a Shimano drive train) is discussed so much is a pretty powerful signal that a meaningful sector of the market wants/demands this capability. One has to wonder why Shimano is not responding to the demand.

Also, with respect to cxwrench's point that installing a longer B-screw is "doing it wrong." He is, no doubt, technically correct on this issue as the success of this work around is very much dependent on the length of the derailleur hanger. However, if it works, it works.

I have done several gearing conversions to run a 32, some with MTB derailleurs and some with GS road derailleurs. All have produced very good results. Some have required more fiddling around to get them to work right. The MTB derailleurs do seem to handle the 32 better. However, the MTB derailleurs do not seem to have the same crispness to the shifts between the mid-sized and smaller cogs on the cassette. Once again, to cxwrench's point, this is just
    anecdotal evidence from a moderately experienced home mechanic working on a small set of equipment combinations...
    Last edited by Stogaguy; 05-05-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    The avatar is not me; just cool and suitably old skool.

Quote Originally Posted by kt22mike View Post
    thought you would be interested in this.

If you remember me I am the guy riding cross country this summer and had the issue with trying to use a 32t cassette with my Dura Ace 7800 components (for climbing).

I went in with your recommendations and my bike shop was in the process of ordering the components (Shimano MTB RD) when their supplier told them about the new Shimano 5701 RD. According to the specs the RD can support a 32t cassette:

So I decided to give it a go and had them install the 5701 RD with the Sram 12-32t cassette and the Sram chain that has a master link (versus the Dura Ace)

Results have exceeded my expectation. The literature on the RD says it incorporates "the wide link design" of the Dura Ace RD. The sifting is smooth and I can use all 10 gears in the rear with either my 34 or 50 front. There is some lag on some of the shifts - but most likely is the results of the new cable stretching - too early to tell.

I was going to switch back to the Dura Ace RD when I return from my trip but I am thinking now to just stay with the 5701.

Thank god my local bike shop was there to help me - Orleans Cycle in Orleans Mass.
    very cool that worked out so well for you. it's great when you have a shop that can figure things like this out and make them work.
    one thing, though. cables don't stretch. at all. housing compresses a tiny bit, and ferrules become thoroughly seated on the ends of the housing. this should be taken care of before the bike leaves the shop, so you should not notice ANY change in shifting performance once you take the bike. if things are done the 'right way', there should not be a need for any adjustments once the job is done.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I just has the Shimano 105 model 5701 installed and it is supporting a 12-32T Sram cassette (connected to my Dura Ace 7800 shifter). Works like a charm. As smooth as my Dura Ace RD was.

When my bike shop told me about the product I tried finding the product on the Shimano web site - not there.

Here is technical information I received from the website of the parts supplier that my bike shop uses....

Quote Originally Posted by kt22mike View Post
    I just has the Shimano 105 model 5701 installed and it is supporting a 12-32T Sram cassette (connected to my Dura Ace 7800 shifter). Works like a charm. As smooth as my Dura Ace RD was.

When my bike shop told me about the product I tried finding the product on the Shimano web site - not there.

Here is technical information I received from the website of the parts supplier that my bike shop uses....

just saw it on our distributor's site. it will work w/ a 32t cog when used with a double crank, if used w/ a triple the max cog is 30. shimano is finally trying to catch up w/ sram in this area.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm running it on a 98 Lemond with a fairly short hanger and it easily handles 32 teeth with the B-screw all the way out. Shifting is smooth and fast. I was using a Deore and although the shifting is the same, this is quite a bit lighter and looks much better. A black cage would look even better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast