Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I know this is a 3 year old thread, but just saw it.

I tend to do a lot of climbing (870,000' last year) and 90K'+ thus far in 2017 (21 rides). My current set up is 50/34 and 11-28. I rarely have to use the 28, but it's definitely nice to have when I'm just toast. The reason I'm considering an 11-32 is for those long days like 80+ miles with over 10K' of climbing, and the last 2 miles are the steepest (think Mt. Baldy, Ca). At the end of these types of rides, I feel like I have to really mash to get up (even with the -28), rather than spinning, which of course is what I prefer. So, for these types of rides/events, I would love to try an 11-32.

I currently have DA 9000. I was told in the past that I needed a mid/long cage RD and likely a longer chain was well. But recently, I was told that I could get the new DA 9100 RD that could accommodate an 11-28 or 11-32. That would be nice, so that I wouldn't have to switch RDs each time I want to change from an 11-28 to an 11-32.

Just thought I bring this up, if anyone else is thinking about doing the same.
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Definitely, I went to a 11-32 this last summer in anticipation of some big mts in Utah. What I like is if you want to just do a training ride @ Z2-3, u can keep your cadence within a normal range. Where as with a 28 your cadence drops way off and it is just easier to kick it up to Z4.... but you have to have the gas to do it.

I am running a standard Di2, so just order one or borrow a wheel with a 32 and slip it in there and take a look. Most modern RD's shimano can handle it depending on the bike is the word, and mine does.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post

But recently, I was told that I could get the new DA 9100 RD that could accommodate an 11-28 or 11-32. That would be nice, so that I wouldn't have to switch RDs each time I want to change from an 11-28 to an 11-32.

Just thought I bring this up, if anyone else is thinking about doing the same.
    I would like to do this also. I know an 11-30 will work fine with the new DA 9100 RD but would rather go 11-32 if possible.

RoadBikeReview Member

11-28 vs 11-32 cassette...how much of a difference will there be?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubam View Post
    I would like to do this also. I know an 11-30 will work fine with the new DA 9100 RD but would rather go 11-32 if possible.
    Having the shop doing this tomorrow. Will let you know. Da9100 RD with 11-32. Also like the idea of being able to stay in the big chain ring longer without the issue with cross chaining.
    I guess I will have a little weight penalty with the 11-32 and the ultegra cassette versus my current 11-28 DA cassette. But I think that is negligible compared to the advantage of being able to spin better and keeping my cadence up on those long steeper climbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Having the shop doing this tomorrow. Will let you know. Da9100 RD with 11-32. Also like the idea of being able to stay in the big chain ring longer without the issue with cross chaining.
    I guess I will have a little weight penalty with the 11-32 and the ultegra cassette versus my current 11-28 DA cassette. But I think that is negligible compared to the advantage of being able to spin better and keeping my cadence up on those long steeper climbs.

Great! Look forward to hearing what you find out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did 51 miles with 6000' of climbing today. For those familiar with Crystal Lake hwy 39 in Southern California...that was my test ride.

About 25 miles of climbing with avg gradient of 5% and some steeper pitches of 10%+. This ride does not require the use of a -32 much, but two quick observations with new setup:

1. On flatter sections or slight gradients didn't have any issues finding the right combinations with the 50 and the newer lower gears -16,-18,-20. Of course still had the 11,12,13,14 just like my older 11-28 cassette.

2. Most of the climb, Toggled between -22,25,28 with the 34 up front.

Although I didn't use the -32 much at all, there were a few times when we encountered some crazy x and head winds with steeper grades near the top where I went to the -32. It was just a nice gear to allow me to spin up more quickly and not let my cadence drop much than I would have been able to in a -28. It also allowed me to accelerate around some steeper switchbacks then I dropped back down to the -28 or -25 for steady climbing again.

So in the end, it was just a nice "bailout" gear. Save me a little bit of energy. No cramping. Felt pretty fresh still at the summit.

As a "smaller" rider 5'8" 132 lbs, I don't generate a lot of wattage, but can spin pretty well.

Quick side note: big prop and kudos to the rider in his 53-39 and -25 rear. He stayed with us for awhile, but when the winds hit, he got dropped. I am sure he was putting out massive wattage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014

How was the shifting performance using the new Dura-Ace RD with the 11-32 cassette. Any issues?

RoadBikeReview Member

11-28 vs 11-32 cassette...how much of a difference will there be?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubam View Post
    How was the shifting performance using the new Dura-Ace RD with the 11-32 cassette. Any issues?
    None whatsoever. If dialed in correctly, you should have smooth crisp shifting.

Initially, I thought I'd go with the DA 11-30, but I am so used to having the -25 and -28, so I wanted to retain those two cogs.

EyeGuy

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    HTML5 Gear Calculator

Gotta love the Germans.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    I run 11-32 and 50-34 every day on Dura Ace 9000. Works great in the Tennessee hills.. Just find a shop you trust & they'll have you running in no time....no need to buy the 9100 groupset to go to 11-32.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12