Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

11-32 cassette + Ultegra derailleur questions

My cannondale was stolen not to long ago and i had the Sram apex setup with 11-32 casette and liked it alot. I Now have a Fuji Roubaix ACR 2.0 with shimano 105, My question is can i run the 11-32 casette with a shimano Ultegra RD6700 GS med cage rear derailleur?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I could be wrong, but the 6700 is compatible with the 12/28 max. You would need the long cage derailleur made for a triple.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    "can i run the 11-32 casette with a shimano Ultegra RD6700 GS med cage rear derailleur?"

No

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    You need a 8 or 9 speed mountain bike derailleur; either med or long cage will work, but not rapid rise. 10 speed mountain is different then road.
    Last edited by LC; 04-08-2011 at 09:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Thx. Guys. So basically i'm looking for something along these lines.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=40543

la dolce vita
    I run that set up with a Deore XT on my cross bike and it works great.
    insert witty comment here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    For what its worth. On another site there was a fellow who used the ultegra med cage with an 11-32 casette set up on two of his bikes.and yes,Shimano specs. say 11-28 max.Possibly they are being conservative.He did speculate that the derailleur hanger may not be long enough on all bikes,but it worked for him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    yes you can...

search is your friend

(i'm a fellow with the bikes using 11/32 and ultegra 6700 - now red actually0

Spokane, Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by jammin
    My cannondale was stolen not to long ago and i had the Sram apex setup with 11-32 casette and liked it alot. I Now have a Fuji Roubaix ACR 2.0 with shimano 105, My question is can i run the 11-32 casette with a shimano Ultegra RD6700 GS med cage rear derailleur?
    I'm repeating myself from other threads, but it has been my experience the I can run an 11-32 cassette while using an Ultegra 6700 short cage derailleur. I've done this on 3 different bikes; Serotta, Time, Taylor.

You'll have to pay attention to proper chain length (I use the big/big method). I've encountered no issues while using this combination daily on any of the bikes.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT
    I'm repeating myself from other threads, but it has been my experience the I can run an 11-32 cassette while using an Ultegra 6700 short cage derailleur. I've done this on 3 different bikes; Serotta, Time, Taylor.

You'll have to pay attention to proper chain length (I use the big/big method). I've encountered no issues while using this combination daily on any of the bikes.
    A factor in this working is the length of the hanger. They range about 5mm, and the longer ones (30mm) make wide gearing a lot easier to set up.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

Spokane, Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact
    A factor in this working is the length of the hanger. They range about 5mm, and the longer ones (30mm) make wide gearing a lot easier to set up.
    That's why I emphasized that I do this on 3 different bikes; 2 production, 1 custom; 1 carbon with Ti dropouts, 1 carbon with carbon dropouts, 1 all steel; 2 made in the US, 1 made in France. It's my belief that Shimano changed the geometry/dimensions of the 6700 derailleur and in doing so enabled the use of a larger max tooth cassette. I understand the derailleur hanger geometry and length, but I think that's less of an issue now when using the 6700 derailleur.

Rub it............
    To sum up what everyone is saying, It MAY work ok on your bike, but there is a possibility of it NOT working.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    To sum up what everyone is saying, It MAY work ok on your bike, but there is a possibility of it NOT working.
    Yes that sums it up pretty good. My brother ran a 9 speed 11-32 cassette with a short cage Shimano 600 rear derailleur. 53/39 crankset. 1991 or so Trek 5200 frame. Worked fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the info guys, Much appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Just get this and be done. Long cage 6700 RD.
    http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?id=BPC356990
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    Just get this and be done. Long cage 6700 RD.
    http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?id=BPC356990

The mid cage Ultegra still has the advertised max cassette size of a 28. So it could be hit or miss with either a short or mid cage. Going with a mid cage means more chain capacity.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's why I emphasized that I do this on 3 different bikes; 2 production, 1 custom; 1 carbon with Ti dropouts, 1 carbon with carbon dropouts, 1 all steel; 2 made in the US, 1 made in France. It's my belief that Shimano changed the geometry/dimensions of the 6700 derailleur and in doing so enabled the use of a larger max tooth cassette. I understand the derailleur hanger geometry and length, but I think that's less of an issue now when using the 6700 derailleur.
    I couldn't tell from either post how long your hangers were. Which one has the short hanger?

Spokane, Washington
    I've never measured the derailleur hangers, I merely installed the derailleurs.

My point is that because of the wide diversity of the bikes that I've had this combination on, (all "race-type" bikes, no tourers or the like) my assumption is that the 6700 derailleu, in particular, has changed and will accept larger tooth-count cassettes.

I have another custom under construction and I'm planning to use this same derailleur/cassette combination and the builder will use whatever derailleur hanger he uses with no input from me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never measured the derailleur hangers, I merely installed the derailleurs.

My point is that because of the wide diversity of the bikes that I've had this combination on, (all "race-type" bikes, no tourers or the like) my assumption is that the 6700 derailleu, in particular, has changed and will accept larger tooth-count cassettes.

I have another custom under construction and I'm planning to use this same derailleur/cassette combination and the builder will use whatever derailleur hanger he uses with no input from me.
    Oh, I had gotten the impression that longer hangers were now generally favored, rather than a change in the derailleur. Most of my road bikes have 30mm hangers. But I guess neither of us know for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe I 'm missing something with Shimano, but for Campy, the ability of the derailleur has to do not only with the maximum tooth count on the cassette but takes into account the difference between the max and min on the rear, added to the max and min on the front gear.

We then have the chain wrap capacity for each RD and from there we can see what will work. None of the above posts seemed to be concerned with the front gear capacity and I was wondering why? There is a difference between running an 11-32 cassette with a front gear of 28-38-48 and one with 34-50 or 39-52.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chas0039
    Maybe I 'm missing something with Shimano, but for Campy, the ability of the derailleur has to do not only with the maximum tooth count on the cassette but takes into account the difference between the max and min on the rear, added to the max and min on the front gear.

We then have the chain wrap capacity for each RD and from there we can see what will work. None of the above posts seemed to be concerned with the front gear capacity and I was wondering why? There is a difference between running am 11-32 cassette with a front gear of 28-38-48 and one with 34-50 or 39-52.
    I'm afraid you may be misunderstanding some of the posts, but those posts are also missing something, too.

Max cog size is the primary issue being discussed. Every Shimano road derailleur I've seen has a stated maximum cog size of 28 (or less). This number comes from the distance between the hanger and the top pulley. Derailleurs with larger cog size maximums place the upper pulley further forward and down than a smaller max cog derailleur.

Some of the posts are talking about the front gears (chainrings), because that refers to the total gearing capacity of the rear derailleur, which a product of the distance between the upper and lower pulleys.

You could have a derailleur that accepts large cogs, but has low capacity, and you can have a huge capacity derailleur with a fairly small max cog size. They are separate functions of the rear derailleur design.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I think the easy answer is: try it and see. Be sure to get the chain length right. I'm using a bigger cog than my rd specifies, and using the "big ring, big cog +1" method resulted in a working system. If you can't make it work with the 6700, then a Shimano-compatible 9 sp MTB derailleur will get you going.

Paul

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact
    I'm afraid you may be misunderstanding some of the posts, but those posts are also missing something, too.
    Thanks, I didn't think that the rules of physics were different for Shimano. Campy doesn't really mention a max cog size other than for the 29. My guess is that they always assume you will be using their brand cogs and front rings so that they just don't mention the extremes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chas0039
    Thanks, I didn't think that the rules of physics were different for Shimano. Campy doesn't really mention a max cog size other than for the 29. My guess is that they always assume you will be using their brand cogs and front rings so that they just don't mention the extremes.
    I still don't think you are grasping everything. Max cog size is how big a cog on the cassette the rear derailleur will fit underneath without rubbing the pulley on the cog. In reality this is the only thing that matters.

Wrap capacity is what the long cage derailleur provides. That means it will take up the slack in a chain designed to fit on a 11-32 rear cassette and 52-42-30 or so crankset. 43 wrap capacity. This is nice if you use the small ring with the smallest cogs. The chain won't hang loose. But if you just don't every use the small ring with the smallest 4-5-6 cogs, no problem with wrap. Chain will not be loose. All is good.

As I said, my brother ran a short cage Shimano 600 rear derailleur with a 53-39 crank and 11-32 cassette. Wrap of 35. Much more than the short cage derailleur could handle. The chain was loose and hanging down if he used the 39 with the 11-12-13-14-15-16 cogs. So what. he just did not use those gears. The 53 and 24-28 or so were the same gears. You can easily exceed the wrap capacity of a rear derailleur and never have any trouble if you pay attention to your shifting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellS
    I still don't think you are grasping everything. Max cog size is how big a cog on the cassette the rear derailleur will fit underneath without rubbing the pulley on the cog. In reality this is the only thing that matters.

Wrap capacity is what the long cage derailleur provides. That means it will take up the slack in a chain designed to fit on a 11-32 rear cassette and 52-42-30 or so crankset. 43 wrap capacity. This is nice if you use the small ring with the smallest cogs. The chain won't hang loose. But if you just don't every use the small ring with the smallest 4-5-6 cogs, no problem with wrap. Chain will not be loose. All is good.

As I said, my brother ran a short cage Shimano 600 rear derailleur with a 53-39 crank and 11-32 cassette. Wrap of 35. Much more than the short cage derailleur could handle. The chain was loose and hanging down if he used the 39 with the 11-12-13-14-15-16 cogs. So what. he just did not use those gears. The 53 and 24-28 or so were the same gears. You can easily exceed the wrap capacity of a rear derailleur and never have any trouble if you pay attention to your shifting.
    I think you misunderstood his post. Campy does not make much of an issue about "capacity" and doesn't publish a maximum cog size like Shimano does. They DO offer min/max hanger dimensions, though. Instead, Campy just offers cogsets that are compatible with the derailleurs, and since they don't make mountain bike cogsets, they don't need to worry as much about people putting inappropriate cassettes with their derailleurs as Shimano does.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast