RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

1998/1999 Bianchi Veloce

Hey,

I have a 98/99 Bianchi Veloce and the wheelset is not in great condition and the front wheel is bent. I am looking to buy a new wheelset but would rather not put too much money into a pair of wheels for this bike, as I'm looking at buying a new one. Even if I buy a new bike I would still like to have this bike to ride occasionally. The wheels are NTH 520's with campy hubs. I would like to know exactly what kind of wheels I should buy that would be compatible with my bike. Also, it is a campy veloce 9 speed. Would buying a cheap wheelset (100-150) on ebay be a good idea?

Thanks for your help,
    Dan

duh...
    why not just have a lbs relace with a new rim?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    They said the spokes are too corroded too work on. It sounds like it's in too bad of condition to be worked on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unless it was very badly treated (like left in the rain for years) the hubs are probably fine with an overhaul. If it's rims and spokes that are in bad shape, a good wheelbuilder can replace them, and you'll have a better set of wheels, chaeper than you'd get a worse set on ebay, most likely. If you buy on ebay, you're going to have to be careful about compatibility with your shifting system.

An inexpensive serviceable rim (Mavic Open Sport, e.g.) can be found for something like $35 each. Add spokes and labor, and you have essentially new wheels for a reasonable price. Campy hubs last almost forever if they're maintained at all well.

When the guy at the shop said it was too corroded to work on, he meant the existing rims and spokes. The hubs are probably just fine.