RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

2007 Time ASX Titan Crankset Recall

There seems to be a recall of the new 2007 ASX Titan Cranksets. The word is that the distributor for Time has asked everyone who has purchased these to send them back for a refund and no replacement. Time USA confirmed that they are asking for all of the cranks to be returned, but "do not know what the problem is."

Has anyone heard what is going on?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    What is your source for this information? Does this apply also to 2006 cranks? Have there in fact been any changes to the crank design or manufacture since it was first sold I believe in 2006? Does this apply to all variations (steel and ti, crank arm lengths, standard and compact)?

I don't see mention of this on Time USA or Time worldwide web sites.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Time crank is made by Stronglight and both Time and Stronglight have been known to have more than their fair share of failures. This has been discussed in great detail over at Weight Weenies. I'm not sure if there has actually been a recall although it would not surprise me.

The funny thing is I ran a set of Stronglight CT2 cranks for over two years without any issues.
    Last edited by Juanmoretime; 06-05-2007 at 05:46 AM.
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    The Time crank is made by Stronglight and both Time and Stronglight have been known to have more than their fair share of failures. This has been discussed in great detail over at Weight Weenies. I'm not sure if there has actually been a recall although it would surprise me.

The funny thing is I ran a set of Stronglight CT2 cranks for over two years without any issues.
    Juan,

I know everything of which you speak. I am about to deinstall a barely used Time ASX Ti crank - because I don't trust it. If I can return it to Time for a full refund, that would be good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    I only have one data point. I was contacted by my LBS a few days after getting my 2007 crankset (about a month ago). They said that Time has asked for all of the cranksets back. I called Time and the guy said that it is "not a recall, but they need all the cranks to be sent back". Sounds recall-ish to me. He had no explaination for the not-a-recall and said that they were not replacing the units.

It is just easier to buy something else then deal with this idiocy.