RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

2007 vs 2008 campy chorus front derailleurs (QS vs CT)

Is there a difference between the 2007 and 2008 campy chorus front derailleurs? I'm planning on running a compact chorus crank with 2008 chorus CT (compact) front derailleur on my new bike. My bike shop says that there should be no shifting differences between the QS version of the front derailleur and the CT version. (note that they don't have the CT version in stock anyways...)

I've had shifting problems in the past with my ultegra front derailleur with pinarello MOST compact cranks--chain would constantly derail when shifting from big to small. I don't want this to be a problem again.

The shop owner is adamant in that the CT would have no advantage over the QS front derailleur in shifting performance. The owner also mentioned that he found the CT to be flexier than the QS when shifting on a compact crank. He said the CT was created so that users of compact cranks would be able to cross chain better(?)

It sounds a bit fishy, anyone here have experiences with the CT derailleurs? Logically speaking, it seems that the front derailleur created only for compact chainrings would perform better than one created to handle both compact and standard chainrings.

Any help would be appreciated...

Oh hai there
    I have no issues when I occasionally cross chain on my compact crank with a QS FD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by de.abeja
    I have no issues when I occasionally cross chain on my compact crank with a QS FD.
    Do you have issues with the chain falling off when shifting from the big ring to small?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Starting with the 2008 Record and Chorus front derailleur, they have been completely redesigned. The 2008 range versionsare compatible both with standard and compact cranksets, and new body and inner plate designs which provide a marked improvement in shifting performance. There is no more "CT" version.

all the gear - no idea
    Sep 2003

no qs or ct anymore

Hi

awiner is correct, from 2008 Record and Chorus front der work with regular or compact chainsets. from 2009 all front ders have same feature. so no qs or ct specific models

FWIW I'm using a 2009 Centaur front der with standard ultra torque chainset and will use same with compact for hilly rides later on - don't expect any probs. it shifts great with old chorus shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info..

The CT model was phased out in 2008 in favor of a new CT/STD model, then replaced again in 2009 with the introduction of the new ultrashift levers. If possible, get the 2009 CT/STD model. The 2008 model will work with 2009 shifters, but be sure to route the cable between the metal tab on the lever arm and the clamp bolt, not over the back of the metal tab.

Buying from you LBS, I imagine that are asking a fortune for any 2009 part. Some prices have nearly doubled over last year. To buy for even less than last year's price, you have to go to UK stores.