RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008

2008 Fulcrum Racing 1 vs. 2011 Mavic Elite

I just bought a new bike and it came with a Mavic Elite wheelset. My old bike had Fulcrum Racing 1's (2008 version) with the thicker spokes and weigh about 1630 grams. I'm unsure whether to swap out the Mavic Elite's for my old Fulcrums and I don't want to ride the Mavics without knowing for sure that I will keep them because then I can sell them as new instead of used. I do a lot of climbing so the lighter Mavic wheelset sounds better. But the bearings in the Fulcrums feel way smoother. Any opinions? Anyone ride the new Elite's?

Edit: Oops... somehow I posted this in the wrong forum. Should be in wheel forum. Please move if possible. Thanks.
    Last edited by Wilier_speed; 11-05-2011 at 09:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm assuming you mean Ksyrium Elites, and not the Cosmic Elites. Either of those and your Fulcrums are good wheels. You want money, just so sell the Mavic's new. They're not necessarily better than your Fulcrums at all.

SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
    Mavic's are at least as good and newer.
    Carbon,Steel,Aluminum or Ti,who really cares as long as we ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replies!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I recently purchased the Ksyrium Elites from my LBS as an upgrade to a set of Bontrager Race wheels that came with my old 2007 Madone. The Bontragers have a great hub...spin the wheels and they will spin forever. The valve alone will create a sort of perpetual motion. So I was surprised when I took the Elites home and found that the hubs only spun for a relatively short time before stopping. Plus...the Elite rear wheel has the retro loud ticking sound that seems to cause the wheel to stop even quicker than the front.

It should be noted that the Mavic rims have a counterweight on the opposite side of the valve-stem to prevent the giro effect.

Like you, I was hesitant to mount the cassette and test the Elites because, once 'used' I might not be able to return them for a refund. I returned to the LBS manager who assured me they were fine and that if there were any problems with the hubs, they would replace them.

Well, after riding them, they certainly seem to roll as fast as the Bontrager-Race. And, because they are not semi-aero, they are a much more comfortable ride. For me, they lowered the weight of my wheels by almost a full pound (Bontrager Race wheels are >1900 gms) ..and it was noticeable.

Bottom line, I would have to assume that spinning an unweighted wheel doesn't really tell you all that much about the relative quality of the hub. Though I still am impressed by the Bontrager hubs, the Mavics really seem to outperform them on the road.

Compared to the Fulcrums, they're really may not be a discernable difference...since the fulcrums are so light as well. But I don't think the hubs are an issue.