Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2013 Madone 5.2 front Brake Problem

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  billytootall 
#1 ·
I am unable to spread the front brake to remove the tire on my new 2013 Madone 5.2. These are not Ultegra but the NEW Bontrager aero brakes.

This is the second time this has happened, The first time the bike shop replaced them at no charge.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so do you have a solution?

#2 ·
I am not familiar with Bontrager aero brakes. Don't they have a quick release on the caliper??

#3 ·
There is a quick release on the caliper, but how do you have them so tight that you have to open them to get the tire between the pads? The '13 5.2 has wheels w/ rims as wide as the tires. I have that same frame/brakes and use a 25mm front tire and have never even touched the q/r on the brake. Post a photo.

#5 ·
Key point. Adjust the brakes so that you can almost pull the lever to the bar with full pressure. This allows you to modulate the brakes most effectively and you are operating the brakes with your full finger strength instead of just having the tips of the fingers on the brake levers. If the brakes have to be pried open to get your wheel off you have either set them up very poorly or they truly are defective. Defective brakes (in this fashion) are a VERY rare occurrence.

#4 ·
First thing, make sure they have been installed as per instructions. Brake pad spacers have to be arranged in a certain way depending on rim width, and the high/low limit screws have to be set to match the levers. Unlikely, but I have seen brakes that were installed and set up with the QR open, rendering it useless.

#6 ·
Here are a few photos of how i set my brakes up. First, from ahead. You can clearly see all of the pad, that's w/ a 25mm tire. I have never touched the q/r to get the tire between the pads.
View attachment 284212

Then a shot of the pad clearance.
View attachment 284213

This is how far back my lever comes w/ a solid pull. This would be enough to lock up the rear wheel.
View attachment 284214

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.