RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

3T Arx stem actual length?

I've been reading that the 3T measure the stems differently and that they are longer than indicated, at least compared to other manufactures. Anyone know how long a 110mm stem is?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 3T team and Pro stem. Both are 110's and measure 110.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Differences

Quote Originally Posted by blantonator
    I've been reading that the 3T measure the stems differently and that they are longer than indicated, at least compared to other manufactures. Anyone know how long a 110mm stem is?
    I think you are confusing handlebar width with stem length. Stems are always measured center to center, but some companies measure bars outside to outside while others measure center to center.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    My 120 mm ARX Pro measures 125 mm c-c along the top of the stem, while the 130 mm measures 130 exactly.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    I think you are confusing handlebar width with stem length..
    Perhaps not. Others have questioned 3T's ability to measure / mark accurately.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...feel-your-pain)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    This really only has to do with their -17 degree stems. Obviously with an angle that severe both sides cannot be the same length. Different manufacturers handle this differently. PRO for instance has one side that is correct, and another (flipped up) that is short. 3T has one side that is correct, and another that is long (flipped down). Others have no side that is correct and split the difference. If you are using a 6 degree stem it really is not much of an issue as both are more or less equal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just measured my 100mm Team...and it measures 100mm,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcl10
    This really only has to do with their -17 degree stems. Obviously with an angle that severe both sides cannot be the same length. Different manufacturers handle this differently. PRO for instance has one side that is correct, and another (flipped up) that is short. 3T has one side that is correct, and another that is long (flipped down). Others have no side that is correct and split the difference. If you are using a 6 degree stem it really is not much of an issue as both are more or less equal.
    You're talking about the horizontal component of stems, where the lower (flipped down) position is actually the one that is "correct" as it cancels out the typical ~73 degree headtube angle.

It'd be dumb to have a measuring basis off effective horizontal length as it'd be inconsistent based on bike and angle. Better to just have the actual length, and have the rider assume responsibility for the turnout (which is like, 2-3 short plug n' chug trig formulas).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck
    You're talking about the horizontal component of stems, where the lower (flipped down) position is actually the one that is "correct" as it cancels out the typical ~73 degree headtube angle.

It'd be dumb to have a measuring basis off effective horizontal length as it'd be inconsistent based on bike and angle. Better to just have the actual length, and have the rider assume responsibility for the turnout (which is like, 2-3 short plug n' chug trig formulas).
    Or they could just list both lengths. Head tube angles don't vary enough to seriously impact stem length, but stem angles do.

Northern Michigan
    I have the 3T lmt in a 110 and it measures 110. I also have the 3T lmt bars and I had to order the 44 because the bars flar out in the bend. They do measure 42 at the hoods which is what fits for me. All measurements are C-C.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

TTT measures are upside down.

I know this is old but...
    My 3T stem marked 120 is only 120 when angled up (upside down for me) installed level with the top tube (correctly) it is actually 135mm. Finally figured why my reach was off when I theoretically got a 120 mm stem to replace another 120mm stem. My 120 nitto is measured properly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I have two 110 mm ARX Team stems and they both measure 115 mm. I also measured some Thomson and Easton stems that didn't match their claimed length. I was measuring to the top center of the bars. Maybe the manufacturers measure to the actual center of the bar. Not sure how much difference that would make though.

RoadBikeReview Member

Well since this thread was revived...

might as well follow up...

Quote Originally Posted by rx-79g View Post
    Or they could just list both lengths. Head tube angles don't vary enough to seriously impact stem length, but stem angles do.
    Along with HT angles, use of spacers (or general stack height) will also influence final reach length so such numbers are going to become arbitrarily listed on a package.

In the end if you're doing a meticulous fit, the calculations and measurements would be done on the spot anyway.

And classtimesailer, I'm in doubt the measurement isn't true to spec. My -17 degree ARX Team was a true 100mm c-t-c. I don't see why they'd be as off a full 1.5cm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I think each manufacturer measures their own way. 3T measures along what they think will be the top. If I install my 3T stem angled upwards, it measures 120mm exactly. As it is installed now, level with my top tube, it measures more than 130mm.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticman View Post
    I have two 110 mm ARX Team stems and they both measure 115 mm. I also measured some Thomson and Easton stems that didn't match their claimed length. I was measuring to the top center of the bars. Maybe the manufacturers measure to the actual center of the bar. Not sure how much difference that would make though.
    All I've ever seen measure from the bored center of the steerer, to the bored center of the bar clamp, along the centerline of the stem. I can't say for sure, but I'm fairly convinced that most if not all of the 'issues' on this thread are from people trying to measure in some other, external way.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    All I've ever seen measure from the bored center of the steerer, to the bored center of the bar clamp, along the centerline of the stem. I can't say for sure, but I'm fairly convinced that most if not all of the 'issues' on this thread are from people trying to measure in some other, external way.
    Pick up a 3T ARX Team -17 degree stem and measure your way. Then you can say for sure. Their 120mm stem is only 120mm if it is installed as a riser stem. If it is installed level with a standard top tube, it will measure more than 130mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    I think each manufacturer measures their own way. 3T measures along what they think will be the top. If I install my 3T stem angled upwards, it measures 120mm exactly. As it is installed now, level with my top tube, it measures more than 130mm.
    And how you measuring this?

The measurement is center to center between clamps. Easiest reference is going to the handlebar clamp there the faceplace meets the stem because it's likely not offset, and measure straight across to the center of the steerer clamp along the longitudinal component of the stem itself - not the horizontal component of surrounding environment

You don't need that exact ruler, but it shows the right method of measurement.

You're not going to find another 135mm out of nowhere unless you've been measuring with an entirely wrong method, or with Fruit by the Foot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    And how you measuring this?

The measurement is center to center between clamps. Easiest reference is going to the handlebar clamp there the faceplace meets the stem because it's likely not offset, and measure straight across to the center of the steerer clamp along the longitudinal component of the stem itself - not the horizontal component of surrounding environment

You don't need that exact ruler, but it shows the right method of measurement.

You're not going to find another 135mm out of nowhere unless you've been measuring with an entirely wrong method, or with Fruit by the Foot.
    That picture is exactly how I have always measured stems, from quill stems to today's threadless. Because you can install an angled threadless stem plus or minus x degrees, there are two lengths available per stem. The shorter and specified length for the 3T ARX Team is measured as in your picture when the stem is installed with a positive angle (upwards). If you install as I have, negative angle and level with the top tube, it measures much longer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Confused

Pick up a 3T ARX Team -17 degree stem and measure your way. Then you can say for sure. Their 120mm stem is only 120mm if it is installed as a riser stem. If it is installed level with a standard top tube, it will measure more than 130mm.
    I am very confused by this statement. If you take the stem off the bike and remove the handlebars, you can measure it center to center (as Ventruk's picture shows) and you get the same length whether it is upside down, pointing straight up, or horizontal. I understand that the horizontal reach from the steerer to the bars changes if you flip the stem but I cannot understand how the length of the stem changes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    I am very confused by this statement. If you take the stem off the bike and remove the handlebars, you can measure it center to center (as Ventruk's picture shows) and you get the same length whether it is upside down, pointing straight up, or horizontal. I understand that the horizontal reach from the steerer to the bars changes if you flip the stem but I cannot understand how the length of the stem changes.
    Try it yourself. Measure your -17 stem as per the picture. Then flip it and measure it as per the picture. Two different measurements. Flipped "down", the top of the steerer tube clamp is further away from the bar clamp and the measured stem length is greater then when flipped "up". Take a ruler to a bike shop and clear up your confusion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Try it yourself. Measure your -17 stem as per the picture. Then flip it and measure it as per the picture. Two different measurements. Flipped "down", the top of the steerer tube clamp is further away from the bar clamp and the measured stem length is greater then when flipped "up". Take a ruler to a bike shop and clear up your confusion.
    Why don't you show some pics of how you are doing it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's the resulting horizontal component of the stem, not the actual length. We've been trying to tell you that this whole time.

Steaming piles of opinion
    So unbolting and rebolting it makes it grow?

Perhaps you don't know how to take measurements. This is why centerline measurements as I described are used.

If you measure from the centerline of the steerer to the top of the faceplate on any stem, you will get a different number. That's a function of the angle of the stem (OK, so it wouldn't be for 90/0 degree stems, but those are uncommon on road bikes.) That doesn't make it a "120" or a '130" stem because it was flipped. The handlebar will always be the exact same distance from the steerer, no matter which way it is flipped.

Look at this. The 'extension' is the number we are talking about, and doesn't change no matter which way the stem is flipped. The 'reach' will change, but that's a fitting question, not a measurement one. It's possible that with 3t being an Italian company, there's been some translational difficulties between 'reach' and 'extension' along the way.

(larger version here.)
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    I measure stems along the centerline of the stem between where it intersects the steerer and bars. This length is independent of now you orient the stem, and in the case of the 3T and other stems I have corresponds to their specified length.

The illustrations in the following calculator show this correctly:

http://www.brightspoke.com/t/bike-stem-calculator.html

It's not easy to measure this directly because the the point of intersection of the steerer axis and stem axis in inside the stem/steerer.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.