Thread: 3t Ergonova

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

3t Ergonova

I just mounted my new 3t ergonova bars. I bought them off ebay and apparently they are OE bars and don't have "Pro" marked as a decal on the bars.

I noticed that the orientation of the egg shaped wing portion of the bar is sloping downwards towards the front away from me instead of being either flat or sloping towards me. Is this normal with this bar?

OE bar I purchased:

Ergonova Pro:

RoadBikeReview Member
    According to this:
    Weight Weenies • View topic - Fake 3T Ergonova?

...it may very well be the OE version and you might be seeing something wrong. Hard for us to judge without a side profile pic.

This discussion suggests it could be legit if you bought it from Wheel&Sprocket because of their supposed credibility:
    Are these 3T Ergonova Pro bars on eBay counterfeit? [Archive] - Bike Forums

*found an auction because I myself was interested in the bars for possible purchase.

The bend looks right - or is remarkably similar. I'd poke the Cervelo boards to find anyone who's got a 2012 bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They look fake to me

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    You got to be very careful buying bike components on ebay. There are a lot of FAKE components being SOLD on ebay. I was watching this program on cable, where the authorities in Italy and other countries, were trying to stop the counterfeit products being sold for cycling companies. Authorities were working with all the major components bike companies to try to shut down these people selling FAKE products.

Big is relative
    Fake. 3T puts the "3T" on the front and not across the transition from oversized to standard. I've got Ergonovas on my dark brown bike and they shipped direct to me from QBP. Hope you didn't pay too much for them. Probably safe, just not what you paid for.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Why would 3T make an OEM version of handlebars? To save $0.0001 worth of paint by not putting a white stripe and "PRO" lettering on it? The material and shape would be the same. Does anyone (FSA, 3T, Deda, Azzurra, Profile, etc.) make OEM versions of handlebars?

That bar just looks fake. The "Ergonova" and "3T" lettering look crooked and poorly positioned on the bar, at the transition between the flat and round parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Propofol View Post
    Why would 3T make an OEM version of handlebars?
    Bikes - Aero Road Bikes - S5 - Prices & Specs

The S5 Rival comes with a listed "3T ERGONOVA OE". The printing on the OP's pic does look off, but I don't know of anyone with a 2012 bike to verify how it's supposed to be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Actually, from that same thread referenced above:

it is not just an OE version of the PRO. it is a separate bar, different from the PRO level. it is an Ergonova OE. I believe they are usually heavier, although as you weighed yours, i could be wrong.
    some of the Ergonova OE bars had the "egg" shape of the bar tops put in the wrong orientation. they sometimes slope down to the front, instead of being flat or with a slight downslope back.
    they come on some Cervelos. notice the other 3t parts are actual PRO or TEAM level parts.
    So it may very well be a real 3T Ergonova, just not the PRO, Team, or LTD version.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thats the bar that comes stock on Cervelos. My S2 originally came with that bar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Propofol View Post
    Actually, from that same thread referenced above:

So it may very well be a real 3T Ergonova, just not the PRO, Team, or LTD version.
    I'm more concerned with the slope of the top of the bar. The flats of the bar I received slope away from the rider instead of towards the rider like my FSA compact do. Can someone tell me if this is normal?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by prspect06 View Post
    I'm more concerned with the slope of the top of the bar. The flats of the bar I received slope away from the rider instead of towards the rider like my FSA compact do. Can someone tell me if this is normal?
    Apparently that is normal (and disliked by many) for Ergonova OE bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    You should go to Facebook and post the picture on the 3T page. Someone from 3T will response very fast to your question whether the handlebar is real or fake.

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyL88 View Post
    You should go to Facebook and post the picture on the 3T page. Someone from 3T will response very fast to your question whether the handlebar is real or fake.

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
    Great idea!

I posted it: 3T Cycling - Outdoor Gear/Sporting Goods - Brembate, Italy | Facebook