RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

54/38 chainrings on 130bcd?

Hello,
    Recently I upgraded from 10 to 11 speed and with an 11-28 cassette was able to upsize my chainrings from 52/36 to 53/39 and have both a faster and easier gear than before.

Was contemplating changing chainrings to 54/38 to be even a bit faster and easier... I ride hilly terrain in Utah so would appreciate both.

The difference is 16 teeth like compact and semi compact chainring setups. Will a 38t ring work (are they available?) on a 130bcd crankset? And does any company supply a 54/38 chainring set? I contacted Praxis, they offer a 54t big ring but not a matching 38.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by fporter View Post
    Hello,
    Recently I upgraded from 10 to 11 speed and with an 11-28 cassette was able to upsize my chainrings from 52/36 to 53/39 and have both a faster and easier gear than before.

Was contemplating changing chainrings to 54/38 to be even a bit faster and easier... I ride hilly terrain in Utah so would appreciate both.

The difference is 16 teeth like compact and semi compact chainring setups. Will a 38t ring work (are they available?) on a 130bcd crankset? And does any company supply a 54/38 chainring set? I contacted Praxis, they offer a 54t big ring but not a matching 38.
    Impossible to answer because you haven't bothered to tell us what crank you have. 1 more or 1 less teeth is such a small difference it's not worth it for most people to make the change. Hmmmmm...maybe that's why they're so hard to find
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for replying... my crank is an sworks w/ 130 bcd spider. From what i've seen running a 38 means that in some cases the chain will contact the ends of the spider arms on some cranks.

You are right about the small differences... It is more appreciable on the big ring:
    Name:  ratios.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  20.6 KB
    But marginal gains and all

Wickwerks sells a 53/34 110bcd set & claim the 19t jump shifts smoothly but maybe the chain will drag on the bottom of the fder cage in smaller rear cogs?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Thanks for replying... my crank is an sworks w/ 130 bcd spider. From what i've seen running a 38 means that in some cases the chain will contact the ends of the spider arms on some cranks.

You are right about the small differences... It is more appreciable on the big ring:
    Name:  ratios.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  20.6 KB
    But marginal gains and all

Wickwerks sells a 53/34 110bcd set & claim the 19t jump shifts smoothly but maybe the chain will drag on the bottom of the fder cage in smaller rear cogs?
    Wickwerks makes great stuff but there's NO way I'd run that combination. It's bad enough w/ a 16t jump. There are good reasons why very few people try to make this kind of thing work. You might think it's worth it but a few more rpm will accomplish the same thing...or coast. Other than you wanting to do it is there an actual need?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Hello,

To gain the same speed increase as going from a 53 to a 54, you would have to pedal 2 rpm faster at 100 rpm. For that you get crapier shifting. Your choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    53/34 is a no go from what I've read...that is just too large a differential. The pro's at last years Vuelta were running 53/36 in a doable extreme setup but only for super steep stages & its not something that they would want to run on a daily basis. To each their own.

Russian Troll Farmer
    FWIW, in the old days, you could find a 38t 130BCD in steel, but not in aluminum; holes were too close to the edge, and aluminum would break. Things may've changed....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"