RoadBikeReview Member

5600 Shifters with 5500 Derailleurs

Will 5600 10-speed shifters work with 5500 9-speed derailleurs (front and rear)? I have done some searching and think the answer is "yes" but would like to confirm before buying.

I know I will have to use a 10-speed cassette and chain.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    It will work fine.

T K
    wasssabi
    I've been told here, by a few people, that 10 spd shifters and 9 spd rear der. won't work.
    If I could get 9 spd rear der. and cassette to work with 10 spd shifters I'd be happy as a lark.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    I've been told here, by a few people, that 10 spd shifters and 9 spd rear der. won't work.
    If I could get 9 spd rear der. and cassette to work with 10 spd shifters I'd be happy as a lark.
    Search for shimano alternate routing. It works, I'm using it right now

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    5600, 6600, and 7800 shifters all have the external shift cables and work just fine with older nine speed derailleurs and brakes.

Not a fan of the alternative routing to convert 10 back to 9 because it only sort of works but not very well, but he did state that he would be using a 10 speed cassette and chain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Not a fan of the alternative routing to convert 10 back to 9 because it only sort of works but not very well, but he did state that he would be using a 10 speed cassette and chain.
    Yes, I plan to run it as 10-speed.

Thanks for the replies.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Shimano road derailleurs dont care what Shimano road shifter operates them.

T K
    wasssabi
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Shimano road derailleurs dont care what Shimano road shifter operates them.
    So, I can use a 9 spd rear der. with 10 spd cassette and shifters?
    I can or cannot use 9 spd rear der. and 9spd cassette with 10 spd shifters?
    I'm building up and older steel bike and really wanted to use a 9 spd D/A rear der. and cassette I already have and am down to needing only shifters.
    Thanks I really need clarification before I buy some shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    5600, 6600, and 7800 shifters all have the external shift cables and work just fine with older nine speed derailleurs and brakes.

It sounded like to me he was planning on using a 9 speed cassette and 9 speed derailleur
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughsdad View Post
    Yes, I plan to run it as 10-speed.

Thanks for the replies.

So,
    1. I can use a 9 spd rear der. with 10 spd cassette and shifters?
    2. I can or cannot use 9 spd rear der. and 9spd cassette with 10 spd shifters?
    I'm building up and older steel bike and really wanted to use a 9 spd D/A rear der. and cassette I already have and am down to needing only shifters.
    Thanks I really need clarification before I buy some shifters.
    1. You can use a 9 speed DA RD with a 10 speed cassette and 10 speed shifters(and 10 speed chain) without any special setup. Tune the RD as normal
    2. You can use a 9 speed DA RD with a 9 speed cassette and 10 speed shifters if you use the alternate RD routing method to attach the cable. It takes a lot of tuning to get it to work right, and it isn't perfect, but is quite adequate. You will only have 9 speeds though, the extra shift on the 10 speed shifter will not be used. If you haven't purchased the shifters yet, get 9 speed shifters and save yourself the trouble if you want to use the 9 speed cassette you already have.