Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    You're going to need new wheels. Or at least a new rear one.
    See JCavilia comment below.

Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    He said that he's been running an 8-9-10-speed hub on it for 10 years, springing it open when installing the wheel, with no problems. I think he's got that part covered, and he doesn't need a new wheel.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    edit: I took a quick spin on a 2100 years ago and it rides exceptionally.

Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    I recommend buying a complete 5800 (105 11-sp) groupset.
    Online prices delivered below $375 new. Very nice shifting and braking.
    You can likely recover a fair chunk of change selling your old stuff on eBay.
    I was surprised to see the 105 11 speed shifters are actually cheaper than the 105 10 speed ones.

Maybe I should have looked into this option more but the thought of a new rear wheel and/or rear hub conversion scared me off.

And I've now pulled the trigger on all the 10 speed gear with the exception of the cassette.

Below is the full part / price list. Price might go up or down $5 or so depending on a few eBay auctions I'm waiting to end but at this point it's pretty set.

Thanks to all for advice and input!

Will update thread with pics once everything arrives in the mail and I've had a chance to install the gear.

Attachment 319679
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7spd Downtube to 10spd STI Conversion-10-speed-conversion-screenshot.png  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tjc4,

That looks really cheap for a cable and housing set. Check to make sure these are stainless steel cables. Many cheaper cable sets are galvanized. Galvanized cables will oxidize causing them to become rough. Rough cables can bind inside the housings causing poor shifting.

This is not a place where you want to go cheap. You can have the highest end components in the world and if your cables are crappy, your shifting will be crappy.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Tjc4,

That looks really cheap for a cable and housing set. Check to make sure these are stainless steel cables. Many cheaper cable sets are galvanized. Galvanized cables will oxidize causing them to become rough. Rough cables can bind inside the housings causing poor shifting.

This is not a place where you want to go cheap. You can have the highest end components in the world and if your cables are crappy, your shifting will be crappy.
    I ordered what was listed as Shimano "Stainless Steel PTFE coated cables" with "4mm SIS-SP41 housing." link

But this is what I received.

7spd Downtube to 10spd STI Conversion-shifter-cable.jpg

I now note it does not have the PTFE cable icon, it only lists the housing as SIS (not SP41), and I see some of the Amazon reviewers state they also got the cheaper stuff

Thanks for pointing that out. I otherwise probably wouldn't have noticed. Sounds like I should return this and get some better stuff.

Edit / Update: just ordered what appears to be some authentic PTFE cable / SP-41 housing off ebay for $22.
    Last edited by tjc4; 07-06-2017 at 09:10 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    PTFE is not as big an issue as stainless steel. Stainless steel is a gotta have. Yep, return it and get the good stuff which will usually cost $20-25.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12