RoadBikeReview Member

8070 and 9170 shifter button Garmin control

A question about the programmable button on top of the 8070 and 9170 shifters when used to change screens on a Garmin - does it work or can it be set up to function like the Garmin remote where a single push advances the screen one page and a long push on that same shifter button pages back one page or does a person need to set up one shifter forward and the other shifter back a page?

Also, are there 2 wire ports on the 8070 shifter or just one?
    Last edited by Srode; 01-24-2018 at 12:45 AM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    A question about the programmable button on top of the 8070 and 9170 shifters when used to change screens on a Garmin - does it work or can it be set up to function like the Garmin remote where a single push advances the screen one page and a long push on that same shifter button pages back one page or does a person need to set up one shifter forward and the other shifter back a page?

Can only answer on the 8050 shifters (which are rim brake Di2) and using a Garmin 1000 you can set the top buttons for a bunch of options - Next page, last page, press and hold for a particular page, etc... I have mine setup for R button is next page, L button is last page (goes back to last selected), R press and hold goes to map, L press and hold goes to compass. I tried and it does not allow a Press and Hold to a particular numbered screen, such as 1, which is the primary data screen. That would be a good option. Currently Press and Hold only accesses map, compass and the other non-numbered screens.

3 ports on the 8050 main shifters, one being the primary cable to A junction, the 2 others being for additional buttons.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    3 ports on the 8050 main shifters, one being the primary cable to A junction, the 2 others being for additional buttons.
    Only 2 ports are etube. The third port is a different shape and only accepts a special plug for the sprint/climb shift buttons. The climbing switch has it's own brain so it just plugs into etube. If a switch/button is only a button it plugs into that third port.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got it, thanks guys
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Only 2 ports are etube. The third port is a different shape and only accepts a special plug for the sprint/climb shift buttons. The climbing switch has it's own brain so it just plugs into etube. If a switch/button is only a button it plugs into that third port.
    Good info., thanks MM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does the firmware/model battery matter to be able to use these buttons? I ask because my battery is the older version and I thought it mattered if you wanted to change the shifting pattern, so thought that might matter here too.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Does the firmware/model battery matter to be able to use these buttons? I ask because my battery is the older version and I thought it mattered if you wanted to change the shifting pattern, so thought that might matter here too.
    Iím going to take a semi-educated guess and say the older battery wonít matter.

The Di2 compatibility chart shows the 8050 shifters being compatible with the DN100 battery, which can be updated to Synchro.

The actual button functions as well were set from the BT connected device, or were on my Garmin 1000. Thus and as long as you have functioning BT Iím thinking the battery wonít matter

EDIT:, OK, just looked up that the older internal battery was the SM-BTR2, not the 100, still thinking itís not going to matter.
    Last edited by Steve B.; 01-25-2018 at 08:06 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

I have the 9170 shifters. Each button can do three things: Single Tap, Double Tap, and Press and Hold. So a total of 6 options.

I have not really tried to compare the Garmin Remote to them, but they have been able to do everything that I used the Garmin Remote for. Go to Map screen, Go to Elevation screen, Start/Stop ride, Lap button, Forward Page, Back Page, etc.

One thing I wish they would add was the ability to go to the smart trainer resistance control screen. But for now, I have to move my hand and touch the Garmin itself.... like an animal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by faulker479 View Post
    I have the 9170 shifters. Each button can do three things: Single Tap, Double Tap, and Press and Hold. So a total of 6 options.

I have not really tried to compare the Garmin Remote to them, but they have been able to do everything that I used the Garmin Remote for. Go to Map screen, Go to Elevation screen, Start/Stop ride, Lap button, Forward Page, Back Page, etc.

One thing I wish they would add was the ability to go to the smart trainer resistance control screen. But for now, I have to move my hand and touch the Garmin itself.... like an animal.
    One thing I canít make it do is go to one of the user configured data screens, 1-5 I think Garmin allows. No big deal though.