RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

9 speed campagnolo centaur groupset with 8 speed shimano cassette

hey there i have a 2001 9 speed campagnolo centaur complete groupset i was hoping to install but i only have a shimano wheelset and 8 speed cassette...i can get a 9 speed cassette but will this set up even work? and if it dose can i just use the 8 speed cassette i have already? thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The 9 speed cassette will work better, neither will work great. You can get a Jtek Shiftmate, or a new freehub body depending on your hubs.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

Frog Whisperer
    there is a campy spaced, shimano hub compatible cassette available (at least in 10 speed)

Evolution / Campagnolo compatible
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Frog Whisperer
    hey.....I know nothing at all about shimano cassettes, but are they individual loose cog? If they are could you just use the campy 9 speed spacers between them? I probably have an extra set or two or three if that would work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    hey.....I know nothing at all about shimano cassettes, but are they individual loose cog? If they are could you just use the campy 9 speed spacers between them? I probably have an extra set or two or three if that would work.
    I think the answer is "no" to both your posts. Campy cog thickness is different than Shimano's so swapping spacers only isn't going to produce the right spacing. And there doesn't appear to be 9 speed adapter cassettes available (any more).

Frog Whisperer
    Thanks......like i say i know zip about Shimano...I am all campy all the time (well my mtn bike has Shimano (but I haven't a clue what model) some 6 speed bio pace thing)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiter View Post
    You can get a Jtek Shiftmate, or a new freehub body depending on your hubs.
    Are you kidding me?

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007
    If you want 9 speeds go with Jtec. If you want to stay with 8 speeds buy a Shimano derailleur and use the hubbub derailleur routing Rear Shifting. The compatibility depends alot of how much cable different make (and sometimes model) pulls. However the derailleur is just a slave, so as long as it is Shimano 7, 8, 9 or 10(road) speed will work.
    Last edited by onespeedbiker; 02-05-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    E fatto espresso divieto di partecipare alla manifestazione con biciclette che non possiedano i suddetti requisiti.Ogni tentativo di farlo a mangiare un piatto di grandi dimensioni di 3 settimane la polenta e in genere di divertimento, soprattutto se egli straniero.