RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

9 speed cassette and chain vs 10 speed cassette

I have an aluminum framed bike 27 speed on my trainer and a powertap wheel on my road bike (10 speed cassette) and want to use the powertap wheel to calibrate the trainer speed vs power curve. Do you think I can put the 10 speed wheel on the trainer bike to calibrate the trainer without swapping cassettes or should I plan on changing the cassette instead? I just need to run it between 15 and 25 mph probably to get what I want so no gear changing needed if I start on the right gear.
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Should work

Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I have an aluminum framed bike 27 speed on my trainer and a powertap wheel on my road bike (10 speed cassette) and want to use the powertap wheel to calibrate the trainer speed vs power curve. Do you think I can put the 10 speed wheel on the trainer bike to calibrate the trainer without swapping cassettes or should I plan on changing the cassette instead? I just need to run it between 15 and 25 mph probably to get what I want so no gear changing needed if I start on the right gear.
    Since you don't care about shifting performance, you should be able to do this. You might have to tweak the cable adjustment just a bit if the gear in which you want to calibrate the power information is not aligned well with the rear derailleur. You should realize of course that it will be very hard to actually do what you desire. The friction between the trainer and the bike tire may have a big influence on the power required for a given speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Kerry - I'll try it out this weekend Sunday when it's supposed to be too cold to ride here anyway. I just want something consistent and reasonably close, not necessarily 100% accurate - so I can see progress over the Winter when I'll be stuck on the trainer inside.
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe

Velocipediologist
    As was said above, no problem as long as you stay in (1) gear.
    Bring the speed up gradually. Don't stand on the pedals and create a large amount of chain tension.