RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017

9150 DI2 Shift Tuning

Does anyone know the exact procedure to tune shifting in the new DI2 group set? When on the small chain ring, the front derailleur automatically moves to the right when shifting to smaller cogs on the rear cassette. When on the the large chain ring, this does not seem to happen when I shift towards the larger cogs on the cassette and I experience chain rub. I figure I must have missed something during the setup.

This happens in the normal, manual shifting mode.

Thanks!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    The only thing I can think of is the front derailleur isn't set up properly. I've never had to plug one into the computer to work on the front derailleur. They have been 100% fine out of the box on every bike I've ever installed one on. You sure you're just not noticing the derailleur move? If it's moving one way to trim it pretty much has to be moving the other way.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I concur with CX. This sounds like a problem with the setup of the FD. The computer settings are not needed to make the FD shift and auto-trim properly.

A few things I've noted in installing a few of these (I'm no pro).

1. You need to follow Shimano's instructions carefully for how you align the FD cage PRIOR to tightening the support bolt. You want the back of the cage somewhat INWARD from the front at first. Then, when you tighten the support bolt you want it to bring the outside of the cage directly over the big ring AND direclty parallel. Tightening the bolt moves the cage out, but it also twists the cage by pushing the back of it out faster.

2. Assuming you get the above right, then just make sure your low and high limits are set.

3. After that, you do have a way to micro-adjust the FD precisely so as to remove chain rub in the auto-trim feature. You activate it by first shifting into the big-big combo, and then holding down the button on junction A. The buttons set to move the FD will then microadjust so that you can eliminate any chain rub.

My actual hunch is that your problem is the support bolt and alignment, since usually microadjustments aren't necessary. As cx says, if you put the FD in the proper spot, it will auto-trim fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    3. After that, you do have a way to micro-adjust the FD precisely so as to remove chain rub in the auto-trim feature. You activate it by first shifting into the big-big combo, and then holding down the button on junction A. The buttons set to move the FD will then microadjust so that you can eliminate any chain rub.
    Never heard of a Di2 microadjust on the front DR, only the back. After alignment and height are adjusted you just set the Low limit (while in the little ring front, big cog back) and the high limit (big ring front and little cog back).
    Nothing succeeds like excess

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Never heard of a Di2 microadjust on the front DR, only the back. After alignment and height are adjusted you just set the Low limit (while in the little ring front, big cog back) and the high limit (big ring front and little cog back).
    Often there is no NEED to do the FD micro-adjust, bit it IS a part of the system. It's detailed in the Shimano manual and if you have an A junction with a display (SC-MT800) it even shows you when you are in the Front micro adjust mode.

As as I said above, you enter the FD micro-adjust mode by shifting to big big and then holding down the junction A button. After that, the FD shift buttons will move the FD by tiny amounts either inboard or outboard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I don't know if the Di2 auto trims on the big ring which is what I think the OP was asking. Usually is only required on the small ring with the small cogs.
    BANNED

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I don't know if the Di2 auto trims on the big ring which is what I think the OP was asking. Usually is only required on the small ring with the small cogs.
    It normally trims 2 times as you shift from 11 to big cog.

In the big ring, if my memory is working correctly.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Thanks for all of the great advice. I will re-visit the situation and see if I find anything out of spec. I did do a proper alignment and setting of the FD tension screw. I re-adjusted the RD during a Zwift ride yesterday and it did seem much quieter.

Cheers!