Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6

    9150 Rear Derailleur & Chain

    Hi everyone.

    I have recently installed a 9150 groupset on a new SWorks Roubaix frame and the shifting between the middle few sprockets isn't quite right. Hanger has been checked, chain length is right and I've been over all the Di2 adjustments several times.

    My query is regarding the B-Tension screw which the 9150 manual calls the End Adjust Bolt. If I tighten it to spec and it's real close to the largest sprocket (30 tooth) the shifting is real good, but by the time I shift to about the 6th sprocket, the chain goes loose and sloppy. If I tighten it up again in the lower gear, the shifting is poor.

    These un-sprung 9150 derailleurs are a bit strange because their hanger mount just flops around until you get chain tension on them. Does anyone have any experience with them which you can pass on please?

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,280
    Something is not right, take it back the bike shop and have them take a look.
    BANNED

  3. #3
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,168
    How do you know your chain length is correct? What method are you using?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    How do you know your chain length is correct? What method are you using?
    Straight from the R9150 dealer's manual which is chain around the large chainring and sprocket + 3 pins (1 full link). I then used the Chain Length Calculator app to double check. I think the app uses the Park Tools rigorous equation to calculate the number of links.

    But I think you are on the right track. If the chain had a little more tension in the lower gears it would be ok. I wonder if minus 1 link would help.

  5. #5
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,957
    Shift into the small up front and small in the back.

    What does the rear mech cage and pulleys look like vs. the chain? Anything touching? How much tension is on the cage in this gear?

    Take a picture of it in this gear, the small/small and post it.


    If you haven't guessed yet, I'm telling you to resize your chain using the small/small method.
    use a torque wrench

  6. #6
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,168
    ^This^. I'm a fan of the longest possible chain.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6
    Thanks, will do that tonight and post the picture. With the 52/36, 9150 Di2 won't allow me to go fully small/small but I'll post what I see in the smallest sprocket and small chainring.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebem View Post
    With the 52/36, 9150 Di2 won't allow me to go fully small/small but I'll post what I see in the smallest sprocket and small chainring.
    Why's that? My 52/36 Ultegra 6870 Di2 allows full cross chaining (big-big or small-small) better than any group I've ever tried. And small-small is very quiet (more so than big-big).

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6
    The default programming is to restrict it so as not to cross chain. You can remove the restriction but to be honest I don't mind the setting.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebem View Post
    The default programming is to restrict it so as not to cross chain. You can remove the restriction but to be honest I don't mind the setting.
    ^this^

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6
    Spoke to Shimano tech support yesterday and the advice is that the 9150 is sensitive to chain length. Looks like I need a link or two shorter in order to get the chain tension on the smaller sprockets. He suggested placing the bike in the 52/11 combination and observe if the rear pulleys are vertically aligned. Mine aren't - the lower one is slightly further back so I can probably lose a link or two. Will try it over the weekend and report back.

  12. #12
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebem View Post
    Spoke to Shimano tech support yesterday and the advice is that the 9150 is sensitive to chain length. Looks like I need a link or two shorter in order to get the chain tension on the smaller sprockets. He suggested placing the bike in the 52/11 combination and observe if the rear pulleys are vertically aligned. Mine aren't - the lower one is slightly further back so I can probably lose a link or two. Will try it over the weekend and report back.
    Put the bike in the work stand. Small/small. Does the chain rub on the rear derailleur anywhere? Like the bottom of the upper pulley? If it doesn't you're good. You can double check this by shifting to big ring. Shift up to the big cog and check the position of the pulley cage. You can hold the chain w/ your fingers and twist it like you're pretending to make the chain shorter. If the pulley cage goes wayyyy forward/up and pedaling the bike by hand doesn't feel smooth then you probably don't want to shorten the chain.

    Remember...just because the guy your spoke to works at Shimano doesn't necessarily mean he has all the right answers.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebem View Post
    The default programming is to restrict it so as not to cross chain. You can remove the restriction but to be honest I don't mind the setting.
    Interesting. Is that only in Synchronous mode or even in manual mode?

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidCooled View Post
    Interesting. Is that only in Synchronous mode or even in manual mode?
    All modes to my knowledge. I run in manual and it's there. Synchronous would just handle front-back changes for you and semi-synchro just flicks a couple of sprockets when you change the front chainring.

    @cxwrench - point taken. Checked your suggestion and it was all good. Removed one full link tonight and it's shifting perfectly.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebem View Post
    The default programming is to restrict it so as not to cross chain. You can remove the restriction but to be honest I don't mind the setting.
    How do you override this??

    I have read that anything over a 14T difference in the front chain rings won't allow small/ small + the second to smallest. If I tell the Etube App that I have a 53/39 (14T diff instead of the 52/36 (16T) will that allow me to use all the gears?? Not that I would... but the second to last cog is useful at times.

  16. #16
    sgc
    sgc is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Donzo98 View Post
    How do you override this??

    I have read that anything over a 14T difference in the front chain rings won't allow small/ small + the second to smallest. If I tell the Etube App that I have a 53/39 (14T diff instead of the 52/36 (16T) will that allow me to use all the gears?? Not that I would... but the second to last cog is useful at times.
    I have just purchased a GS cage Ultegra R9150 for use on my existing DuraAce setup to allow me to use a lower ratio cassette on the rear. However while I can get it to go onto the 11T while on the big ring on the front (50T) as soon as shift onto the small ring (34T) the rear derailleur auto shifts backdown 3 cogs and will not shift back up while on the 34T ring? It sounds as if its a similar issue and is incredibly annoying as I am losing 2 gears on the small front ring. Does anybody know how to get around this?

  17. #17
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,168
    Quote Originally Posted by sgc View Post
    I have just purchased a GS cage Ultegra R9150 for use on my existing DuraAce setup to allow me to use a lower ratio cassette on the rear. However while I can get it to go onto the 11T while on the big ring on the front (50T) as soon as shift onto the small ring (34T) the rear derailleur auto shifts backdown 3 cogs and will not shift back up while on the 34T ring? It sounds as if its a similar issue and is incredibly annoying as I am losing 2 gears on the small front ring. Does anybody know how to get around this?
    If it's 'incredibly annoying' you've been spending a lot of time in the wrong gears. On many bikes the chain will hit the inside of the big ring in the last 2-3 cogs...why would you want to ride in those gears?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by sgc View Post
    I have just purchased a GS cage Ultegra R9150 for use on my existing DuraAce setup to allow me to use a lower ratio cassette on the rear. However while I can get it to go onto the 11T while on the big ring on the front (50T) as soon as shift onto the small ring (34T) the rear derailleur auto shifts backdown 3 cogs and will not shift back up while on the 34T ring? It sounds as if its a similar issue and is incredibly annoying as I am losing 2 gears on the small front ring. Does anybody know how to get around this?
    Make sure you don't have Synchro shift (semi sychro mode) enabled... sounds like you do.

  19. #19
    sgc
    sgc is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Donzo98 View Post
    Make sure you don't have Synchro shift (semi sychro mode) enabled... sounds like you do.
    No synchro is disabled, it appears to be a shimano default on the new rear derailleur

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    201
    What front rings do you have??

  21. #21
    sgc
    sgc is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    22
    50/34

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    201
    Go into ur Etube App... and change the front rings to 53/39... that should do the trick.

  23. #23
    sgc
    sgc is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Donzo98 View Post
    Go into ur Etube App... and change the front rings to 53/39... that should do the trick.
    I see where you are coming from, unfortunately at the moment I dont have the bluetooth sender on the system to communicate with the Etube App, use a laptop to interface with the Di2. Looks like I may need to purchase one and try adjusting it through the App.

    Thanks

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by sgc View Post
    I see where you are coming from, unfortunately at the moment I dont have the bluetooth sender on the system to communicate with the Etube App, use a laptop to interface with the Di2. Looks like I may need to purchase one and try adjusting it through the App.

    Thanks
    I can't imagine you can't do the same with the laptop set up.

  25. #25
    sgc
    sgc is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    22
    Possibly, but I dont recall seeing that on the laptop interface, will have a check tonight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DuraAce 9150 Cassette Size
    By JDCowboy in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2017, 05:21 PM
  2. 9150 DI2 Shift Tuning
    By jjspike in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-03-2017, 01:22 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2016, 03:05 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-09-2014, 07:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •