RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

adjusting cantilever brake to fit wider rim

I would like to use my powertap wheel with my cx bike however the brakes are too narrrow and can't fit the wider rim. how do i adjust the cantilever brake to accomodate a larger rim?

Recycle King
    Have you try giving it more slack for the brake cable? There is a screw which holds the cable on the cantilever arm. After you unhook the brakes, loosen it, after you get your wheel on, adjust how much gap you want between brake pad and rim by holding it with one hand and tighten the screw back up with the other hand.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

RoadBikeReview Member
    lower cable hanger &/or widen the straddle cable (loosen the bolt on the brake that has one).
    check out sheldon brown's pages on canti brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    In addition to the suggestions above, some cantilever brakes have two pair of concave/convex washers, a pair on either side of the brake pad mounting arm. One pair will be wider than the other. By switching the pairs, you vary the spacing from the pad to the rim. The concave/convex part is to enable orienting the pad to contact the rim properly.