RoadBikeReview Member

Aero carbon tubular wheels?

I'm thinking about buying a set of aero carbon tubular wheels. My rides are pretty much all on the flats, roughly half of the time solo and half in pelotons (informal racing at this stage, though more serious age group racing is a possibility), at distances up to 100mi or occasionally more. Some days I solo 50 or 60 miles, and wind is a problem here as everywhere.

My current everyday wheels are American Classic 350 clinchers--pretty light alloy wheels. They've proven strong enough for my riding, though they can flex in heavy sprinting. I've ridden with tubulars since the 1970s, so gluing and associated falderal are no big thing to me, and I have half a dozen good tubulars lying around.

I'm not a triathlete and I'm not on a TT machine--the bike is a Felt F1. I'd like a set of wheels that are light enough for quick acceleration and deep enough section to give a real aero benefit, and comfortable ride is a plus. I'm thinking along the lines of a 50-60mm section tubular rim, and there are too many choices out there. I'd like to maximize the performance to dollar ratio and would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks for your insights!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I would recommend looking into a set of HED Stinger 60 wheels. They are 60MM with shape that is supposed to be less effected when the yaw angle increases. Both Zipp and Reynolds have studied the drag created by the wind a different yaw angles. Zipp uses a shape similar to HED that is more torridal. Reynolds ads a "swirl lip" generator at the leading edge of the rim, this effectively creates turbulance as the wind hits the "lip" causing it to move in a circular motion around the leading edge which reduces drag.

The HED Stinger wheels new can be had for between $1,500 and $1,700 for the standard version. Which in my opinion is a steal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am very happy with my Enve/Edge 45s laced to Alchemy hubs on my F5. I performed a lot of research on both the rims and hubs before having them built last year. The design of the rims are unique in that the spoke holes are molded, not drilled, creating a much stronger wheel. The hubs create the greatest bracing angle which makes for a laterally stiff wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

Easton EC 90s

I love my easton ec90s!! so sweet! one potential drawback is you can't true the wheel with the tire on. Mine are still very true after a year.