RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

Alternative to Specialized Toupe saddle, any advice?

After reading about Specialized's Volagi lawsuit fiasco, I feel a little embarrassed to be seen with any of their kit. Luckily, all I have is the Toupe saddle.

Unluckily, it's a great saddle and I find it really comfortable. Great weight, too. So I don't want to just get any old replacement.

Anyone have any thoughts on a good alternative? I'm 185 lbs and built for sprinting if that helps.

Roadbike Rider
    I like the Toupe as well. Maybe your butt has a valid opinion in all this. Embarrassment doesn't slow you down or cause saddle sores so why toss a good piece of gear?
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just bought a Selle SMP Lite 109 to replace my Toupe. I found that the Toupe wasn't comfortable for me beyond about 80 miles. It's heavy, though. There are lighter versions that may be more suitable for your needs.

That being said, how my ass feels on a long ride is way more important to me than the lawsuit fiasco. If the Toupe was comfortable for me I wouldn't consider changing it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really like the Toupe and recently tried out a Selle Royal Respiro Sport. Great saddle, though it is 100g heavier than the Toupe.

Check it: Selle Royal: - bicycles saddles -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Well yes, you're all right. I'm not necessarily going to change the saddle right this instant out of complete outrage for a company I don't care about.

But if there's a saddle that's just as good, made by folks who play nice...

flinty-eyed moderator
    I looked everywhere- and ended up just buying a take off one from a third party. Its hard to replicate the very low stack height of the Toupe (important on seatmast bikes).

And remember, Specialized won. The Volagi dudes definitely did not have clean hands either- which is why they lost. Specialized could not prove damages hence the $1 verdict (the "punishment" was the legal fees the Volagi dudes paid IMHO).

That said, I came out very unimpressed with either party frankly. Trying to steal information and customer lists from a company like Specialized was beyond stupid. And litigating against a asset-poor defendant who already returned most of the stolen goodies when caught red-handed was equally stupid. But it was nice of the parties to help stimulate the local legal economy. . .
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Re-Cyclist
    I like to ride bike. I don't care about some companies lawsuit. It's their private business. I'm sure they wouldn't care about my business business.

Got a Toupe on my Specialized bike, Works fine. Im used to it now. No pain after 75 miles.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    You already gave Specialized your hard earned money for the seat...you like it...why part with it? Principal is overrated especially when it comes to a saddle that is comfortable and fits.

I will say this though...if your principals are that high...there isn't a whole lot you must rid yourself of in this world when it comes to mass produced items...because everybody has sued somebody, uses child/slave like labor or taken bail out money in one way or another.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    # of times you've been criticized in person for Specialized equipment? Can't imagine it being much if at all.

No one's said anything about my chainrings, other than they look nice. I'm a little peeved at Specialized but w/e. My bike's running with their rings.

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gordy748 View Post
    After reading about Specialized's Volagi lawsuit fiasco, I feel a little embarrassed to be seen with any of their kit...
    Seriously, this is a joke right? If not, I would think specialized would pay you for not riding any of their equipment...actually I have heard they've launched a lawsuit against your arse for sitting on their saddle...

[Side bar] All jokes aside, know the facts of the case. And even short of that, anyone who owns their own business knows how determined they'll protect it, the brand and employees. Further, I will bet you a cost of a saddle that you have products or are buying products from companies knowingly or not who have been to court in litigation as strenuous and in a "David and Goliath" mold. Fact.

Good luck with your saddle choice and ride well

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Don, it wasn't a lawsuit, it was actually a request for a recall. They couldn't believe my fat arse hadn't broke it in 5 years!

But if truth be told, there may be an element of capitalist boredom driving my desire to find a new saddle, and using bare naked outrage as a shameless excuse for just wanting to blow more money pointlessly on my favorite pastime.

Not a climber
    Wow dude. Wow. Can anyone see the brand when you're sitting on it??

Guess I better get rid of my road bike, mtn bike, helmet, shoes, etc....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordy748 View Post
    Don, it wasn't a lawsuit, it was actually a request for a recall. They couldn't believe my fat arse hadn't broke it in 5 years!

But if truth be told, there may be an element of capitalist boredom driving my desire to find a new saddle, and using bare naked outrage as a shameless excuse for just wanting to blow more money pointlessly on my favorite pastime.
    You will have reached cycling enlightenment when you realize you only need those excuses for your wife/SO. I'm not there yet, either, but I keep working on it. You shoulda seen the mental gymnastics I went through buying those stupid expensive Arundel Mandible cages. :P