Charismatic Megafauna

Alternative to Speedplay grease gun?

I'm looking for a DIY alternative to the Speedplay-branded "speedy lube" system or whatever they call it.

Never having owned a grease gun before (yet very comfortable with, uh, grease) not sure what sort of adapter/nozzle thingy I should be looking for.

Any suggestions?

thanks!
    BE...STIFF! -- Lene Lovich

RoadBikeReview Member

Moderatus Puisne
    yeah, that's right.

BTW, though, several places stock the speedplay grease gun these days, and I bought one... for $25 with a tube of marine grease, a little spendy but not horrible, and it is a really well-built g.gun. I didn't have one at all, and I use it for everything from pedals to headsets and whatever, it's well-built...

Ken
    RoadBikeReview Member
    About a month ago I had to replace the bearings in my left frog pedal. I think I had about 35,000km on it. After opening it up, which is very easy, I noticed that injecting grease via the grease port is very inefficient. My guess is only about 1% of the grease applied this way actually gets used by the moving parts. Now when I grease my frogs I disassemble them and apply grease directly. When I used to use the grease port, I used a 5ml plastic syringe that I bought from a medical supplies store. They cost about a dime each.
    Name:  syringe.jpg
Views: 2727
Size:  34.5 KB

Charismatic Megafauna
    Hah! I actually got one of those for from Walgreens for that very purpose:

"Hi. I'd like to buy a syringe."
    "For insulin?"
    "No, for grease."

So if that thing works then i might as well give it a go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    +1 for syringes. There are also florist versions with a long curved tip that work well too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use the same gun that I use for a my air tools, they are about 13.00 with a tube of grease.

http://www.yardstore.com/index.cfm?a...ls&ItemID=1625

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Any hardware store

Quote Originally Posted by PseuZQ
    I'm looking for a DIY alternative to the Speedplay-branded "speedy lube" system or whatever they call it. Never having owned a grease gun before (yet very comfortable with, uh, grease) not sure what sort of adapter/nozzle thingy I should be looking for. Any suggestions?
    Any hardware store will sell you a "pinpoint greaser" for a few bucks, usually with good quality grease included.

Charismatic Megafauna

Phil Wood OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    usually with good quality grease included.
    Or do I need something else?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Yes & no

Quote Originally Posted by PseuZQ
    Or do I need something else?
    Some people love PW grease, others don't think much of it.

Charismatic Megafauna
    OK, last Speedplay question (this week):

Is it really necessary to have the stainless shims if you're putting the cleats on carbon-soled shoes?

Also, just went ahead and bought an X/2 rebuild kit. I think spiders crawled out when I opened the dust cap....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

RoadBikeReview Member
    How does this work? Do I have to tighten the bottom of the cartridge constantly?
    I'd guess it's spring loaded, like most grease guns, including the one from Speedplay. So no, you don't have to constantly tighten the bottom. That's a nice grease gun, but you'll need more of a nipple on the end to use it with Speedplay pedals. One may be included with it.

Also, don't pay bike prices for the grease. You can find the Sta-Lube Multi-purpose Marine Grease cartridges (part # SL3184) for $5-7 for a 3-pack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

speedplay grease syringe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_John
    I'd guess it's spring loaded, like most grease guns, including the one from Speedplay. So no, you don't have to constantly tighten the bottom. That's a nice grease gun, but you'll need more of a nipple on the end to use it with Speedplay pedals. One may be included with it.

Also, don't pay bike prices for the grease. You can find the Sta-Lube Multi-purpose Marine Grease cartridges (part # SL3184) for $5-7 for a 3-pack.
    would a syringe be even better? what type of syringe needle?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Hypo madness?

Quote Originally Posted by steel515
    would a syringe be even better? what type of syringe needle?
    When you say syringe, do you mean a medical syringe? You would need a huge needle in order to have low enough pressure drop to push the grease through. You'd also have trouble sealing the needle against the pedal body to make sure the grease was pushed through and didn't just come back out. Just go to your local hardware store and buy a cheap pin-point grease gun or equivalent. You're making this way to hard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

grease syringe

[quote=Kerry Irons]When you say syringe, injecting grease via the grease port is very inefficient. My guess is only about 1% of the grease applied this way actually gets used by the moving parts. Now when I grease my frogs I disassemble them and apply grease directly. When I used to use the grease port, I used a 5ml plastic syringe that I bought from a medical supplies store. They cost about a dime each."
    Last edited by steel515; 12-23-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Whenever possible, I like to disassemble things to grease them. Why? Coupla reasons. 1. I can see what's been going on in there, and also clean thoroughly. 2. I'm old fashioned.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Ken
    RoadBikeReview Member

Disassemble is Best

Surprises me that this thread is still active. But anyway, about a week ago I had to regrease my frogs again. As mentioned in my previous post I disassembled the Frog pedals first. Something new that I learned this time around was that the pedal interior was still full of grease only the grease had migrated to the hollowed out cavities of the pedal. Instead of applying new grease I just scooped out the grease from the pedal cavities and reused it on the bearing assembly after which I reassembled the pedal and went riding. I used to think that grease "wore out" and needed replacing, now I reason that the grease that was lubricating the bearings actually gets pushed out and migrates mostly to the pedal cavity area and some out the pedal through the rubber gasket and onto the pedal axle.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    That's why I'd rather take stuff apart.
    Don't believe everything you think.

RoadBikeReview Member

Best Solution Yet

Hey Guys,
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but the absolute best solution to this is a chainsaw grease gun. Less than ten bucks at any big box home improvement store. Works great with my Frogs.