RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

another red bb30 crankset question

Ok....I know this topic has been discussed numerous times. I'm installing a SRAM red bb30 crankset on a new BH G5 build. I've pressed in the bearings (blue bearings facing outward), put on the bearing covers (SRAM BB30 writing facing outward), installed the crankset---no matter how many spacers I put in, the wavy washer essentially is compressed flat and the crankset has significant resistant to rotation. I understand that some resistance is normal, but this seems excessive. What stupid thing am I doing wrong???!!! Thanks for the help. NO spacers on drive side/plastic clear spacers and wavy washer on non-drive side.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What happens with no washers except for the wave?
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    if you put no wave washer or spacers how much play is there?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    NO play...wavy washer is flat...but resistance to rotation seems ok (still a little tigher than I'm used to with GXP but WAY better than before). Should I run it like this even with the wavy washer flat? FYI...my bearings are totally flush with my BB with the black bearing cover on---I've read others say that they only use the plastic washers when there remains some recession between the bearings and their BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    how does it spin without the crank arm attached?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Spins great before tightening crank arm. Resistance once I've tightened crank arm---it is better now that I've taken out some spacers....but wavy washer is now flat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wave washer should be slightly wavy. Removing washers should make it more wavy and adding them should make it flatter, less wavy. If it's totally flat with no washers something aint right, IMO. Sounds like you have the parts arranged properly. I guess it's possible that the bearings weren't full seated when pressed in, maybe being held out out by a foreign object, grit, dirt, etc., which is pretty unlikely on a new build. A rather unpleasant possibility is the BB shell wasn't machined correctly at the factory. Seems less likely but possible that the crank is defective. .