RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Any sign of the Garmin Vector pedals in the TDF?

Just curious. Was anyone riding with the Vector in the Tour?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah right, and the easter bunny and tooth fairly won most combative and laterne rouge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    At least three of Garmin Sharp's riders were using SRM Power Meters, so probably not.

Pro Bike Gallery: Andrew Talansky?s Cervelo R5

Pro Bike: Dan Martin?s Cervelo R5 | Cyclingnews.com

Pro Bike: Ryder Hesjedal?s Cervelo Rca

Slightly Opinionated
    Pshh. The Vector will never be released. And when it does, nobody will buy it when they can buy a Stages PM for half the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

chamois creme addict
    It seems like the Vector ship has sailed and no one was at the port to board it when the anchor was pulled up. Too bad, Garmin could have scored with it but the time delays have effectively killed it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    It seems like the Vector ship has sailed and no one was at the port to board it when the anchor was pulled up. Too bad, Garmin could have scored with it but the time delays have effectively killed it.
    Agreed. They missed their window. With Stages power meters and others coming in under $1000, I think we will start seeing more and more use by the "average" rider.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    The vector does have 2 big advantages over the stages. You get power for both legs and you can switch them from bike to bike extremely easily. For a person like myself that rides track, road, and time trials the vector is the better choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Does anyone else feel that there would be cornering issue with the pods? It seems like they stick downward quite a bit. Maybe it's not that much of an issue because they are right against the crank?

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpdatframe View Post
    The vector does have 2 big advantages over the stages. You get power for both legs and you can switch them from bike to bike extremely easily. For a person like myself that rides track, road, and time trials the vector is the better choice.
    Left/right leg power difference doesn't matter unless you have one non-functioning leg (and it's the left one.) Power balance varies very little.

What matters in any power meter is not necessarily the accuracy of the number (you can get 200 or 220 watts out of it while your true, lab measured FTP may be 210 watts) as much as the repeatability. As long as it can consistently report the same slope/calibration, it doesn't matter where the actual number is. In the previous example, as long as you consistently get 200w or 220w for a number, it's repeatable, thus it works just fine.

As for swapping from bike to bike: how hard is swapping a crank arm? Even easier than changing pedals.

Stages also has the BTLE transmission protcol, which the Vector will not.

And of course, the Vector will be so full of bugs on release that it will be nearly unusable. Garmin is know for beta testing on the first generation adopters.

Vector is a piece of garbage, assuming it ever comes out.
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post

As for swapping from bike to bike: how hard is swapping a crank arm? Even easier than changing pedals.
    Really? Your trying to tell me it's easier to switch a crank arm than it is to change pedals? I don't think you really thought it through when you said it's easy to swap from bike to bike.

Changing the crank arm from bike to bike is totally convenient. Considering that all of my bikes have different crank lengths. How many people have all of their bikes with the exact same crank length and model.

Slightly Opinionated
    Really? Your trying to tell me it's easier to switch a crank arm than it is to change pedals? I don't think you really thought it through when you said it's easy to swap from bike to bike.

Changing the crank arm from bike to bike is totally convenient. Considering that all of my bikes have different crank lengths. How many people have all of their bikes with the exact same crank length and model.
    Most of us, actually (with the exception of the track bike.)

And yes, with today's self extracting crank arms, I can swap a crank arm in less time than it takes to swap pedals and align the stupid gamin pods will take. Then again, I have no problem with ANY of the mechanical stuff on my bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Ahh I do.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does anyone else feel that there would be cornering issue with the pods? It seems like they stick downward quite a bit. Maybe it's not that much of an issue because they are right against the crank?
    They stick backward not downward when the crank arm is at the bottom (and forward with the crank arm on at the top)...and yes, they are more inboard.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.